totally devastated

heyy i need help with a relationship problem. hopefully i can get some advices from everyone. well, my ex and i been dating for 2 years already. we broke up about a month ago. we began to have so much problems with each other. it all started due to my own insecurities. i had an ex of mine that i went out with for more than 5 years that cheated on me with a friend of mine that i knew since i was four. my ex boyfriend became best friends with this girl 7 months into our relationship. i felt really insecure because he started telling me things like, she understands me more than you do, we have more in common than you and i ever would, and i have more fun with her. i started getting insecure and jealous. it got really bad to the point that i told him its either her or me. i made him choose between his best friend and me. he promised me that he would stop seeing her and all but in the end, i kept on finding him being with her behind my back. he lied to me each time and denied that he was with her. it got to the point that it was no longer jealousy nd suspicion of them, it became trust issues btwn us. i trusted that he would keep his words but he just constantly broke each and every one of his words. he felt that i was being too unreasonable and he began to feel restricted by me so we finally broke up. Now i realize how stupid and foolish i was for telling him to choose and putting him in that position. but i cannot change it anymore. i feel as if he already associated me with the image of like a cage. i restrict him too much.

he claims that he still loves me but im not sure if he intends to come back to me. im actually pretty sure that he still does love me. at the end of this month, hes going to go away for 5 months. even though he still loves me i dont know what his intentions are. ( get over me or try again) im not sure if i should still try and wait for him. throughout the past month or so, i've tried everything that i can to show him that i still love and care about him. but we just end up arguing.

another thing is that the two of us, had a scarred past in terms of sexual relationships. we developed our relationship sexually also. he placed a lot of trust and love into our relationship. during one of the times that we were on and off, we had an intimate moment but at that time i didnt completely trust him because of the way that he just keeps on breaking promises with the whole best friend situation. so he told me that when he loses his virginity he wants it to be with no strings attached. it made me feel as if he gave up on the two of us. do you think i should still try? or should i just give up?:confused: