Broke up with live-in boyfriend, but he won't leave!

I just recently broke up with my boyfriend of 3.5 years over his drinking/drug issues and his complete inability to do a thing around the house. The problem is, that I told him 3 months ago to start saving money for a new place or look for someone to move in with, but he has done NOTHING!! he sits on the computer playing video games from the time he gets home from work until he goes to bed. He's just pretending like nothing happened! It doesn't make sense for me to move out, every single piece of furniture, all the dishes, etc. are all mine. He has nothing to his name. I yell at him about it, but he just completely ignores me, makes mocking voices at me, or just tells me he doesn't care, he said that as long as he's paying half to rent he gets to stay! I don't get it, I have no idea what to do. I stay away from home as much as possible now because I do not want to see him! HELP! PLEASE!!!

• Author

he is on the lease, but I spoke with the landlord and he said that he will take him off, but my boyfriend has to go to him and sign the papers.

Nothing you can really do if you're both on the lease and he's still paying his share.

Move yourself out and be consoled with the fact he'll be stuck with the full rent and no furniture or dishes!

oh_what_am_I_doing

Some suggestions.... bring home a new guy and have loud sex in the next room over... (maybe he'll get the hint). Do it while he's playing his precious video games.

You could change the locks without telling him, but if he's on the lease, the landlord might not approve of it.

If you really can't stand it anymore, and he just won't budge, I think you should just move out. My friend in college worked for a moving company, and he said once that a woman called and said for the movers to be there promptly at 9am, and that they had to be out by 5 when her husband came home, because he didn't know she was leaving him. She just packed everything up and took off, leaving no forwarding address. A bit cruel, especially if you're married, but since you're not, I say go for it. I think if I were you, I might take some of his video games too just for fun.

Most places you are jointly and severably liable for the full rent - so don't just move out and leave the rent unpaid.

When's the lease up? And go make sure it doesn't have an 'auto-renewal' on it- and see what the notice is that is required that you are going to vacate.

The day the lease is up - have a moving company come move everything out that belongs to you. Cancel any utilities in your name. Have your mail forwarded to a PO box.

That way everything you've done is legal, and won't ruin your credit.

he is on the lease, but I spoke with the landlord and he said that he will take him off, but my boyfriend has to go to him and sign the papers.
LakesideDream

This is the problem with shacking up, and both signing on the lease. Legally there is no reason for him to leave.

If you do as suggested and break the locks, you will be guilty of a CRIME. You cannot deprive a person from their domicile without legal cause. "Breaking Up" is not legal cause.

If you leave without legal cause, ie. violence on his part, or other severe abuse, you are still liable for his half of the rent. He is under no obligation to find a new room mate. He can take you to small claims and will win. Judge Judy is on the horizon if you just split.

Leases are legal contracts, and your now room mate is correct. If he's paying his share, he doesent have to leave and cannot be forced to.

Sadly, even inviting a friend over for "Loud Sex" that others would consider abnormally, or unusually loud is also illegal, he could get a restraining order preventing you from depriving him of the "quiet enjoyment" of his domicile.

Signing long term lease contracts, car loans, shared phone plans, credit cards, while shacking up isn't a very good idea. Live and learn.

• Author

Hey! Thanks for all the advice. Our lease isn't up until October, I guess 3 months really isn't THAT long. It really does sucks though. The loud sex in the next room sounds hilarious! haha He's so lazy anyway, if I did that or if I just up and left, there's no way he'd take me to court or anything. He doesn't get off his ass...ever. I'm not worried about any legal action against me by him.

I'm looking for apartments right now though. I think just leaving might be the best option. The landlord said he will take me off the lease, so that's good! Thanks again!