Why do people still in love break up?

Why do you think people who still love each other break up? I'm talking about two people who genuinely love each other, never have had any problems with infidelity or cheating, communicate with no problems and would do anything for each other.

Its a tragedy when people throw away relationships like that. Its beyond painful. Both people in the relationship love each other but its like the dumper doesn't fully appreciate or realize what they have. Someday they'll realize what they let slip away but for whatever reason they can't see it in the present. It puzzles me to no end why that is.

The dumper is willing to take a huge, huge gamble by throwing away a perfectly good relationship in hopes for what? Its a definite possibility that they aren't going to find a better companion or someone who loves them more then what they already have.

Millions of people on this planet would be thrilled to have someone in their life who cared for them that much. But then the dumper in these types of relationships have that one person - that very thing that everyone seeks and they throw it away.

Its one of the biggest ironies of life. Its almost as if some people don't want to be happy. They find someone who truly loves them and then discard it like it was nothing. Never knowing what a gift it was until years and years later.

A word to the wise and to all people out there who have ever dumped someone who really, truly loved them and probably now regret it...

"If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world".

Love doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. That's sort of where it starts. That chemically induced insanity they call romantic love subsides and often dies in time and if you don't have a lot more there afterwards you are dead in the water. You had better be excellent friends if there is even a morsel of hope.

There has to be caring, commitment, communications, shared goals, shared views about having and raising children, shared views about money, shared views about religion or respect for each other's religious beliefs, openness, forgiveness, kindness, consideration, some shared interests, honesty, open mindedness, great understanding, a mutual desire to make the marriage fun, a mutual desire to talk and work out problems as they arise from time to time and a host of other characteristics in play for a relationship to have even a fighting chance. How many relationships do you know that have all that and more....................that's precisely why they are so difficult to maintain.

There are so very many reasons why people in love break up. Often one is being dishonest with the other about their feelings. Lots of times one falls out of love. Sometimes it's the parents and friends. Sometimes its geography. Geeze, there are just so many reasons. We are not on an easy subject here.

• Author
There has to be caring, commitment, communications, shared goals, shared views about having and raising children, shared views about money, shared views about religion or respect for each other's religious beliefs, openness, forgiveness, kindness, consideration, some shared interests, honesty, open mindedness, great understanding, a mutual desire to make the marriage fun, a mutual desire to talk and work out problems as they arise from time to time and a host of other characteristics in play for a relationship to have even a fighting chance. How many relationships do you know that have all that and more....................that's precisely why they are so difficult to maintain.

True but alot of times people can compromise on alot of misunderstandings or things they don't necessarily agree with. You're right its almost impossible to find "someone" who agrees with you on everything. That would be like dating a clone.

I just think its dumb that when two people have a great relationship that one takes the easy way out and breaks up instead of learning the art of give and take.

For we all know "In life nothing worthwhile ever comes easy".

Why do people still in love break up?

I would believe that one of the two in the relationship isn't telling the truth about being in love with the other.

They are most likely telling the other person that they love them as to cushion the pain from the breakup for both parties and to take the spotlight off of them..

As well as the fact that there are many different levels of love and not all of them are relationship type love.. again.. someone not telling the truth or the other not seeing it as it is being told

amaysngrace
As well as the fact that there are many different levels of love and not all of them are relationship type love..

This is so true. There are different levels of love and if the mutual love doesn't grow at the same rate then one person may feel that they have to "catch up". And that's where the pressure comes in and can make someone re-think the relationship.

I think that's how some break-ups occur. Some dumpers would rather bail out of the relationship at that point than become more committed. Often though the dumper realizes what they have and can make it okay before it's too late.

They are the lucky ones.

True but alot of times people can compromise on alot of misunderstandings or things they don't necessarily agree with. You're right its almost impossible to find "someone" who agrees with you on everything. That would be like dating a clone.

I just think its dumb that when two people have a great relationship that one takes the easy way out and breaks up instead of learning the art of give and take.

For we all know "In life nothing worthwhile ever comes easy".

That's true but nor should a good relationship require constant work either (like some think.)

Also, if the relationship is as "great" as you say it is, then they wouldn't break up. No one breaks up from a great relationship as far as I know. Something had to be wrong somewhere.

The other thing to consider is that sometimes the timing is just wrong. Two people may love each other and even get along but they just met at the wrong time in their lives. That happens.

That's true but nor should a good relationship require constant work either (like some think.)

Also, if the relationship is as "great" as you say it is, then they wouldn't break up. No one breaks up from a great relationship as far as I know. Something had to be wrong somewhere.

The other thing to consider is that sometimes the timing is just wrong. Two people may love each other and even get along but they just met at the wrong time in their lives. That happens.

The last part is likely the truth of it. Personally, I really felt like I met someone who could've been 'the one'....so much so that literally everyone in my life that cared about me thought so too. It was really almost too perfect. I wasn't ready for that, so I created problems out of nowhere.

After losing it, I appreciated what I had and tried to get it back, but the damage was done. It takes a strong, whole person to really commit themselves healthily in a serious relationship.