Just go engaged: What are my duties as Groom

Hi all! Just joined and since their isn't an introduction forum, I'll tell a little about myself here. I am a 41yo male living in north Texas. My interests include creating websites, writing, traveling, being spontaneous and I am quite the news hound. My fiance's name is Gina and we've been together for six years.

My question is this: What are my responsibilities as the Groom in the planning of a formal/semi-formal wedding?

Answer:

Learn two very important words: "Yes, dear."

Exactly....girls think about their wedding day from the time they are little girls. You job now is to be a yes man and make sure she gets what she wants and that it is everything she has dreamed of.

jen_jen_heartbroken

True, Tudor. Otherwise he'll end up with a bride like the Cameron Diaz character in Very Bad Things.

slubberdegullion

Rules for the Groom:

• Nod and agree a lot, even if you think it's a bad idea;
  • Shuddup and smile;
  • Get used to the idea of someone else taking control of your bank account;
  • She's gonna get upset & cry because something will go wrong. Don't try to fix it, just let her vent;
  • If she's smiling as she's walking down the aisle, it's because she knows she's given her last blowjob;
  • Drink just before the ceremony. That way, in the future, you can say you were drinking and didn't know what you were doing;
  • Show up at the church/office on time, say nothing other than the vows and the requisite "I do" statement;
  • She's always right, even when she's dead wrong. That goes for the MIL too.

me? bitter? noooooo...

IhavenoFREAKINclue

Its nothing like this. Especially if your actually gung ho about it all. My fiance is all about it. We made all our decisions together. There's no such things as "groom duties". Whatever you want to be apart of, she should understand and not put you on the back burner. Tell her that you want to be involved and she will be delighted. Most grooms aren't involved and get mad when the cakes isnt' what they wanted. If your involed you both have the wedding of your dreams. Not just hers.

I guess I just assumed all wedding forums were for women. I am in the process of planning my wedding, and my fiance is being more than open about everything, he's even helping out a lot more than I thought he would! It's great to know that he actually cares about our wedding as much as I do! I'm sure your fiancee would be so happy to know that you want to help, just let her guide you, and talk about both of your ideas. Communication is key in planning a great wedding. Good luck and congratulations!

I just got married myself 6 months ago and we had a formal wedding with 270 guests. The decisions, especially money, should be agreed upon; this includes the monies for the wedding dress. You don't have to see the dress but make a decision as to what to budget: $1000.00 or in my case $8000.00 dress.

The best thing I did was research. To alleviate my future wifes' stress, I googled the hell out of everything. From candles to wedding locations to the photographer and videographer. Research. Research. Research. Present your research and make a decision together on what you find. Also, it gives you great control over keeping to budget (in other words leave out the research for $300.00 Tiffany toasting glasses and present the Robinsons/May $50.00 ones). She will love the fact that you did research.

Also, decide a head count and stick with it. we were all over the place with up to 400 people. Crunch the numbers and decide to you want quantity or quality. More people or more detail.

Good luck.

• Author

LOL at first couple of posts...the last one scared the h*ll out of me!

Thank you all so much for your input!

Please, keep the advice coming. Anyone else have any advice or suggestions?

first of all not all girls dream about their weddings.. in fact i NEVER thought about mine until recently when my FH and i began talking about it. the key thing here for you to do is talk to her and see is there anything she would want you to do... for exmaple chose a pastor or something, or a DJ.. or help decide on a caterer or even a reception place. just offer help and tell her to feel free to talk to you about any ideas she has. if she asks your opinion, give it to her. thats the biggest complain us girls have,, that getting an opinion out of our fiances is like pulling teeth.. i finally got mine to tell em he would like me to have a dress with a train LOL

and of course talk about guest lists and budget issues together. you might want to join a wedding forum like weddingsolutions because there are men on there and women and you can get ideas- or tell her to join.. its the only thing keeping me sane with the planning cos i get to get opinions and talk about things.. without bugging my FH.