Readings at a Marriage Ceremony

Hello everyone.

My fiance and i recently got engaged and are planning to marry next year. I am going through ideas for the service but would love any advice anyone could give me in searching for appropriate readings or poems for the service. We are having a church ceremony (I am baptist christian) and would like to have one reading that isn't from the bible, so any helpful ideas would be greatly apreciated.

Many thanks

Slinkysu :)

LifeRealistic

[FONT=Times New Roman]Wedding Readings from the Old Testament [/FONT]

• Genesis 1:26-28, 31
  • Genesis 2:18-24
  • Tobit 8:5-7
  • Songs of Songs 2:8-10, 14, 16; 8:6-7
  • Sirach 26:1-4; 13-16

[FONT=Times New Roman]Responsorial Psalms (Appropriate Fragments) [/FONT]

• Psalm 33

• Psalm 34

• Psalm 103
  • Psalm 112
  • Psalm 128
  • Psalm 145
  • Psalm 148

[FONT=Times New Roman]Wedding Readings from the New Testament [/FONT]

• Romans 12:1-2, 9-18

• 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13

• Ephesians 5:2, 21-33

• [FONT=Times New Roman]Colossians 3:12-17[/FONT]

• 1 John 4:7-12

[FONT=Times New Roman]Wedding Gospels [/FONT]

• [FONT=Times New Roman]Matthew 5:1-12[/FONT]

• Mark 10:6-9

• [FONT=Times New Roman]John 2:1-[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]11 [/FONT]

• John 15:9-12

[FONT=Times New Roman]Wedding Readings from the New Testament [/FONT]

• Romans 12:1-2, 9-18

• 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13

• Ephesians 5:2, 21-33

• [FONT=Times New Roman]Colossians 3:12-17[/FONT]

• 1 John 4:7-12

[FONT=Times New Roman]Wedding Gospels [/FONT]

• [FONT=Times New Roman]Matthew 5:1-12[/FONT]

• Mark 10:6-9

• [FONT=Times New Roman]John 2:1-[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]11 [/FONT]

• John 15:9-12

[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]

LifeRealistic

My last post was a mess! ok, well here is the most common - best known as the love is patient/ love is kind

[FONT=Goudy Old Style][COLOR=#0000ff]I Corinthians 13:1-13[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Goudy Old Style]"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." [/FONT]

LifeRealistic

[FONT=Goudy Old Style][COLOR=#0000ff]Ephesians 5:1-2, 21-33[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Goudy Old Style]Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. Even so husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no man ever hates his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." This mystery is a profound one, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church; however, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband. [/FONT]

LifeRealistic

[FONT=Goudy Old Style][COLOR=#0000ff]Mark 10:6-9, 13-16[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Goudy Old Style]"But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female.' For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder." And they were bringing children to him, that he might touch them; and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it he was indignant, and said to them, "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands upon them[/FONT]

Great scriptures!

Also consider Kahlil Gibran's "On Marriage" from The Prophet:

You were born together,

and together you shall be forevermore.

You shall be together when the white wings

of death scatter your days.

Aye, you shall be together even in the

silent memory of God.

But let there be spaces in your togetherness,

And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love.

Let it rather be a moving sea between

the shores of your souls.

Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.

Sing and dance together and be joyous,

but let each of you be alone,

Even as the strings of a lute are alone

though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.

And stand together, yet not too near together.

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,

And the oak tree and the cypress

grow not in each other's shadow.

This is Biblical but beautiful. A verse from Ruth- which she was actually saying to her mother in law but it applies to marriage soooo much.

"Entreat me not to leave thee, or to arise from following after thee, for where thou goest I will go, your people will be my people, and you God, my God"