What does marriage mean to you?

I'll start.

I see marriage as a commitment to love each other even after the warm-fuzzy puppy love is long gone. I see marriage as a base from which two individuals are able to truly show themselves to another person, and from which they can grow as individuals and together. Most importantly, I see marriage as elevating your partner to family member.

it's about connecting with someone on various levels like you've not connected with anyone else before, and it's about loyalty to each other and to your relationship. My relationship with Richard is to the point where I don't know where I end and he begins. Which can be scary, realizing you can feel so deeply for someone who isn't related to you except by law and love ....

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

You can't imagine loving him any more than you already do, but somehow you do, more and more everyday.

After a while you feel like you've both taken a step backwards and feel maybe the love has faded.

But once you get past each hurdle, you realize your love has multipled beyond your expectations.

A union chosen of our own free will and sanctified by God and upon which He will confer his blessings.

Like Quankanne said - not knowing where one begins and one ends -- a union, becoming one with another person, merging together to be a whole new entity while still keeping some individuality.

My husband would probably mention the 'bonds' of matrimony first :p It means recording the football game sometimes instead of watching it live. It means not having to get 'gussied up' to go out and score a chick. It means security in knowing that there is someone he can turn to for anyting. those are the things I know I can answer for my husband because he's told me that during one of periods of boredom where I've asked him what it is he likes about marriage or some such drivel (when he rolls his eyes at me and thinks that he might as well pay his dues and answer since I pay my due in feeding him junk and fetching and carrying for him during the football games!) :p

• 2 weeks later...

Marriage is putting someone else before you. It is security, commitment, trust, and love. You may not always feel the butterflies because it goes more deeper than that. It is being able to be yourself. My love for my husband makes me feel like I am going to bust with it. I can't imagine not having him next to me, sharing my thoughts and feelings and listening to his.

personnally I find marriage to be a big downer but I believe society has currupted us thus making mariage a difficult prospect to undertake. In an ideal world, however, I think marriage is a bond between two people who share life with one another, completing each other so that one feels only half without the other. marriage is not just being with someone you love but someone who likes doing the things you like to do and viseversa. Getting married to someone who is the complete opposite of you is a very very bad idea.

personnally I find marriage to be a big downer but I believe society has currupted us thus making mariage a difficult prospect to undertake.

I don't imagine that in the past thousand years marriage has ever been the easiest of institutions for the parties involved. Perhaps our ancestors were just more willing than we are to accept that marriage rarely works without a bit of struggle and sacrifice on both sides.

It is an enormous committment to be there financially and emotionally and is one of the ONLY committments youcan get into where no matter what the other person does, you are supposed to remain fixed and steadfast. Every other job can be quit.

Marriage itself is a very bad idea if you make more money than the other person unless you happen to find a perfect person (someone who isn't going to get uglier than you, someone who is no more lazy than you are, etc.)

So basically, marriage by default is primarily downside (unless you are marrying up). Focus on the quality of the person -- not your "love them too much" feelings, but on the compatability matters -- first and foremost. Then marriage is not a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bab,

I would have to say someone who can be your friend ,confidant and be open and honest with you always!! Someone you can always trust and know when the road gets rocky they will be there for you .. Someone that isn't selfish and puts you before theirselves.. Someone to take care of you when you can't .... Someone you know you will be sitting in a rocker beside when you are old and gray and they still love you as much as the say they did when you met..

I've been married 5 months now. I'd have to say marriage is about love, committment, trust, security. Like the others have said- knowing and loving someone fully and completely and letting them know you fully also...and knowing they still love you with all your faults.

The best part is that feeling of comfort knowing you have a teammate beside you for life, who you can share anything and everything with.

Marriage is a committment where two people become one - you commit to work on the relationship and support one another in everything. It is a partnership. For me it is the opportunity to start a family. It is when two people join togheher and love one another but not necessarily like each other all the time, when they work towards the same goal - which is to make each other happy, but still agree to disagree. It is a choice by two people to join.