LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Transitioning > Getting Married

We're not getting married anytime soon but...

Getting Married Cold feet to pre-marital stressors--the place to discuss all the issues that come with saying "I do."

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2019, 1:47 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
In many Asian cultures (including, AFAIK, the Indian culture that the OP says she is from), the wedding is traditionally supposed to be about what the parents want. Obviously, I disagree with this, and H and I did make ours about what we want. But the cultural pressure is significant, and not similar to that in the West.

My cousin did a traditional wedding, and she and her husband have no say in the process at all. The groom's parents did all the planning, and the bride's parents made a few "requests" that the groom's family has to acquiesce to, which was decided during the traditional engagement (which, again, was a "negotiation" between the parents and not about the couple....). The couple's desires are not really taken into account at all.
Appreciate the insight, didn't know this.

Though I'm not sure her "invite none, upset everyone" approach plays into the cultural norms...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote