What did you do for your honeymoon?

me and my ex-wife went down to Venice, Florida to catch some sun and hit the attractions. the sex was ok but nothing special. ate some good food, though.

• Like 1

We did the stereotypical honeymoon, nothing different as we are not adventurous, more on the boring side :))

Went to Hawaii. Spent a few days in Oahu and then boarded a 7 day cruise to Maui, The Big Island and Kawai. The most expensive vacation of our lives, completed with first class fight and a suite with a buttler and a hot tub. It was extraordinary, probably will never do that again so I'm glad we had the chance to do it.

In turn, we had a pretty small wedding that didn't cost a lot of money, cheap dress, few flowers etc. put all the money towards this vacation of our lifetime :)

• Like 2
  • Author

Both sound like plenty of fun! :)

We've been on quite a few vacations together already, so I'm thinking of how we can make this one "different". We're splurging on a fancy hotel, which is unusual for us, but don't want to rely too much on stuff that costs money to make a difference, haha.

Both sound like plenty of fun! :)

We've been on quite a few vacations together already, so I'm thinking of how we can make this one "different". We're splurging on a fancy hotel, which is unusual for us, but don't want to rely too much on stuff that costs money to make a difference, haha.

We considered other options, such as European destinations because we had been to Maui together for hour 1year dating anniversary already , but we didn’t go for that because we didn’t want stress on the honeymoon. In Europe you could get more of that, less relaxing.

On the other ha d we didn’t want just a beach vacation, so this was the option that had the most diversity, while not allowing for too much stress. Visit all the islands and Hawaii has a lot more than beaches. So it worked .

Now I’m thinking to go to Croatia some day, I heard it’s beautiful, it’s not as well known , you may consider a beautiful destination like that but off of the beaten path.

• Like 1

We went to Jamaica (my first marriage). I'd never been on a plane!

We stayed home a week after the wedding to tie up details, rather than rushing off the next day.

All inclusive resort with a nude beach. It was great, but I'd chose something more adventurous next time. Current H and I haven't taken one yet, after 5+ years. We'll need to find something that caters to gimpy old folks. :lmao:

• Like 2

We went to Ireland & Paris. We married in October so the Caribbean was out; didn't want to take a chance on hurricanes.

It was only our 2nd trip together so there wasn't much to differentiate. We probably squealed a few times "it's our HM."

When we travel now, we try to keep the romance alive so we make these trips more like that one, rather than different.

• Like 3
  • Author

Awesome places guys!! :)

We are actually doing our proper honeymoon at least a few months after our wedding due to issues with work. :( But we have a few days after the wedding itself to chill out by ourselves before going back to work, so I'm hoping to make the most of that!

• Like 1

We took our motorhome on a two week trip around the country and stayed at different nudist camps. It was great.

• Like 2
  • Author
We took our motorhome on a two week trip around the country and stayed at different nudist camps. It was great.

I had no idea there were nudist camps in your country! We learn new things every day... :laugh:

• Like 1

Whatever you decide to do, build in some down time. You will need it after the last minute push to the wedding. With all the excitement, you will both need to crash. I think we slept the first full day in Ireland -- landed 6 a.m. Got into our hotel around noon, thank heavens for early check in. Napped until about 6, then went to the theater. We ate a light dinner but were back asleep before midnight local time. We were just sooooo tired after all the running around & international travel.

• Like 2
Whatever you decide to do, build in some down time. You will need it after the last minute push to the wedding. With all the excitement, you will both need to crash. I think we slept the first full day in Ireland -- landed 6 a.m. Got into our hotel around noon, thank heavens for early check in. Napped until about 6, then went to the theater. We ate a light dinner but were back asleep before midnight local time. We were just sooooo tired after all the running around & international travel.

did you guys have sex?

• Like 1
did you guys have sex?

It was our HM. You are not getting a play by play. My point stands, immediately post wedding, both people need some honest to goodness sleep.

• Like 1
  • Author

Good advice!!

We'll definitely spend most of the day after relaxing - we have a place with a nice view booked, and I have my eyes set on a particularly luxurious hot tub package. :p

We spent just a few days in Athens in a fancy suite with an incredible view of the Acropolis. Afterwards we took a ferry to Crete and spent the rest of the honeymoon in an enormous Airbnb in the mountains. We hiked Samaria Gorge, went to the beach, visited vineyards and olive groves, checked out museums and Minoan ruins, etc, and did almost all of our own cooking. There was a momma cat and three adorable teeny-tiny kittens in the villa who were very friendly once they realized we had food. It was so special to sit outside with a stunning view of the valley and share special meals together (and with the cats).

I don't think we did anything different from a typical couples' vacation. The big treat for us was just relaxing and being very far away from our ordinary environment.

My advice would be to literally get your house in order as much as you can before you leave. I'm very type A and kept us organized, but we still had mountains of gifts and letters and random leftover wedding accessories to sort through. Make a plan beforehand for where that stuff will go so you don't have to deal with any more than you absolutely have to.

• Like 2

For our 1 year anniversary we went to Paris and i was glad we didn't go there for the honeymoon. It was a nice trip, but you imagine Paris as romantic, and seeing beautiful girls in sundresses, carrying baguettes, on a bike. Instead, is chock full with tourists, crowded, and honestly, dirtier than cities that have less fame, like some cities in Eastern Europe.

• Like 2
For our 1 year anniversary we went to Paris and i was glad we didn't go there for the honeymoon. It was a nice trip, but you imagine Paris as romantic, and seeing beautiful girls in sundresses, carrying baguettes, on a bike. Instead, is chock full with tourists, crowded, and honestly, dirtier than cities that have less fame, like some cities in Eastern Europe.

Ironically when we went in 2008 as the market was crashing, Paris was empty. We were literally all alone in the Napoleon Gallery of the Louvre; there were only about 20 people in the room to see the Mona Lisa. We got straight up to the top of the Eifel Tower. . .off one elevator & onto the next no lines. A few places along the Seine had a handful of tourists but once you got one block off it was a ghost town. So we ended up having a great glamour tour, like the whole city was ours. It might not have been so magical if we'd had to fight throngs of tourists.

• Like 1
It was our HM. You are not getting a play by play. My point stands, immediately post wedding, both people need some honest to goodness sleep.

Understood, but did you? What was it like?

Speaking of needing sleep, our wedding lasted 27hours, from the start of the church service until the last shot of vodka was drunk. My family thought they were done when they went to sleep on the wedding night, and were surprised when we woke them to start again at 10am the next morning. Vodka shots before breakfast, eat, then resume partying until the sun goes down.

For our honeymoon, we went to the south coast of Turkey for several days and vacationed with masses of Germans and Russians. Balloon rides over Cappadocia and bathing in the waters at Pamukkale. Turkish coffee is really good. Turkish food will keep you in the bathroom if you aren't careful. I would recommend it, except Turkey seems to have turned more fundamentalist and unfriendly to the West.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

We went all over Spain (which was actually really hard in 2 weeks as it's so spread out); I've been to Spain before but stayed in pretty much one city, so this time it was really nice to see the contrasts between different regions. Sevilla was incredible and the Spanish city I'm most likely to return. I loved Barcelona the first time; this time was no different despite it being crowded. There are just things like the architecture and the atmosphere that no other city could replicate (same with Venice) so I put up with the crowd.

I've traveled by myself many times before, and we've taken vacations twice abroad before getting married, so for our honeymoon, we also wanted to make it "different" (normally we travel extraordinarily cheap thanks to my mad planning skills :cool:). We went on more food tours (my husband loves traveling for food), did an Arab bath in Granada, and saw a flamenco show in Sevilla. Basically things we wouldn't have splurged on on normal vacations. Whatever you do, I think it's the thought put into these special activities that will make the honeymoon more memorable than other vacations.

• Like 1
  • Author

Sounds like everyone here had a great time at theirs! Love the stories. :love:

My advice would be to literally get your house in order as much as you can before you leave. I'm very type A and kept us organized, but we still had mountains of gifts and letters and random leftover wedding accessories to sort through. Make a plan beforehand for where that stuff will go so you don't have to deal with any more than you absolutely have to.

Aaaaaahhhh. This is excellent advice but I dunno if we'll manage to do that!! :laugh: We're really rushed for time nowadays just trying to get the last-minute prep done. I'll at least get the cleaner in just before we leave so we can get back to a clean house, I guess....

I've traveled by myself many times before, and we've taken vacations twice abroad before getting married, so for our honeymoon, we also wanted to make it "different" (normally we travel extraordinarily cheap thanks to my mad planning skills :cool:). We went on more food tours (my husband loves traveling for food), did an Arab bath in Granada, and saw a flamenco show in Sevilla. Basically things we wouldn't have splurged on on normal vacations. Whatever you do, I think it's the thought put into these special activities that will make the honeymoon more memorable than other vacations.

This makes a lot of sense, thanks! We are splurging on a really nice hotel and a couples' spa experience, which is unusual for us. Like you guys, when we travel, we normally stay at motels because we're too busy seeing the sights most of the time, and we also tend to avoid stuff that we can get at home. :p But we'll make an exception this time.

• Like 1