LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Transitioning > Getting Married

What did you do for your honeymoon?

Getting Married Cold feet to pre-marital stressors--the place to discuss all the issues that come with saying "I do."

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2018, 6:05 PM   #16
Established Member

We spent just a few days in Athens in a fancy suite with an incredible view of the Acropolis. Afterwards we took a ferry to Crete and spent the rest of the honeymoon in an enormous Airbnb in the mountains. We hiked Samaria Gorge, went to the beach, visited vineyards and olive groves, checked out museums and Minoan ruins, etc, and did almost all of our own cooking. There was a momma cat and three adorable teeny-tiny kittens in the villa who were very friendly once they realized we had food. It was so special to sit outside with a stunning view of the valley and share special meals together (and with the cats).

I don't think we did anything different from a typical couples' vacation. The big treat for us was just relaxing and being very far away from our ordinary environment.

My advice would be to literally get your house in order as much as you can before you leave. I'm very type A and kept us organized, but we still had mountains of gifts and letters and random leftover wedding accessories to sort through. Make a plan beforehand for where that stuff will go so you don't have to deal with any more than you absolutely have to.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 7:31 PM   #17
Established Member

For our 1 year anniversary we went to Paris and i was glad we didn't go there for the honeymoon. It was a nice trip, but you imagine Paris as romantic, and seeing beautiful girls in sundresses, carrying baguettes, on a bike. Instead, is chock full with tourists, crowded, and honestly, dirtier than cities that have less fame, like some cities in Eastern Europe.
BluEyeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 9:33 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyeL View Post
For our 1 year anniversary we went to Paris and i was glad we didn't go there for the honeymoon. It was a nice trip, but you imagine Paris as romantic, and seeing beautiful girls in sundresses, carrying baguettes, on a bike. Instead, is chock full with tourists, crowded, and honestly, dirtier than cities that have less fame, like some cities in Eastern Europe.
Ironically when we went in 2008 as the market was crashing, Paris was empty. We were literally all alone in the Napoleon Gallery of the Louvre; there were only about 20 people in the room to see the Mona Lisa. We got straight up to the top of the Eifel Tower. . .off one elevator & onto the next no lines. A few places along the Seine had a handful of tourists but once you got one block off it was a ghost town. So we ended up having a great glamour tour, like the whole city was ours. It might not have been so magical if we'd had to fight throngs of tourists.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 11:15 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
It was our HM. You are not getting a play by play. My point stands, immediately post wedding, both people need some honest to goodness sleep.
Understood, but did you? What was it like?

Speaking of needing sleep, our wedding lasted 27hours, from the start of the church service until the last shot of vodka was drunk. My family thought they were done when they went to sleep on the wedding night, and were surprised when we woke them to start again at 10am the next morning. Vodka shots before breakfast, eat, then resume partying until the sun goes down.

For our honeymoon, we went to the south coast of Turkey for several days and vacationed with masses of Germans and Russians. Balloon rides over Cappadocia and bathing in the waters at Pamukkale. Turkish coffee is really good. Turkish food will keep you in the bathroom if you aren't careful. I would recommend it, except Turkey seems to have turned more fundamentalist and unfriendly to the West.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 8:49 PM   #20
Established Member

We went all over Spain (which was actually really hard in 2 weeks as it's so spread out); I've been to Spain before but stayed in pretty much one city, so this time it was really nice to see the contrasts between different regions. Sevilla was incredible and the Spanish city I'm most likely to return. I loved Barcelona the first time; this time was no different despite it being crowded. There are just things like the architecture and the atmosphere that no other city could replicate (same with Venice) so I put up with the crowd.

I've traveled by myself many times before, and we've taken vacations twice abroad before getting married, so for our honeymoon, we also wanted to make it "different" (normally we travel extraordinarily cheap thanks to my mad planning skills ). We went on more food tours (my husband loves traveling for food), did an Arab bath in Granada, and saw a flamenco show in Sevilla. Basically things we wouldn't have splurged on on normal vacations. Whatever you do, I think it's the thought put into these special activities that will make the honeymoon more memorable than other vacations.
niji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:47 PM   #21
Established Member

Sounds like everyone here had a great time at theirs! Love the stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post

My advice would be to literally get your house in order as much as you can before you leave. I'm very type A and kept us organized, but we still had mountains of gifts and letters and random leftover wedding accessories to sort through. Make a plan beforehand for where that stuff will go so you don't have to deal with any more than you absolutely have to.

Aaaaaahhhh. This is excellent advice but I dunno if we'll manage to do that!! We're really rushed for time nowadays just trying to get the last-minute prep done. I'll at least get the cleaner in just before we leave so we can get back to a clean house, I guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by niji View Post
I've traveled by myself many times before, and we've taken vacations twice abroad before getting married, so for our honeymoon, we also wanted to make it "different" (normally we travel extraordinarily cheap thanks to my mad planning skills ). We went on more food tours (my husband loves traveling for food), did an Arab bath in Granada, and saw a flamenco show in Sevilla. Basically things we wouldn't have splurged on on normal vacations. Whatever you do, I think it's the thought put into these special activities that will make the honeymoon more memorable than other vacations.

This makes a lot of sense, thanks! We are splurging on a really nice hotel and a couples' spa experience, which is unusual for us. Like you guys, when we travel, we normally stay at motels because we're too busy seeing the sights most of the time, and we also tend to avoid stuff that we can get at home. But we'll make an exception this time.