Getting married or not

Hi all! I and my girlfriend have fallen in love with each other for two years and we are so happy to be together up to now. Recently she has given me some signals that she wants to get married, but I'm not ready. What should I do now?

I think that 2 yrs is reasonable to expect marriage. Go into couples therapy and see what the scoop is between you on this issue.

Don't get married untill you both can express what you really feel, so there is no surprise.

Welcome to LS....

Share with us your perspective on marriage itself, not necessarily about it and your current partner. How do you feel about marriage?

What's your relationship history? Married in the past? Lived with someone? LTR's prior to this one? Etc.

Were your parents married and, if so, how did that go? What kind of an example did they set for the commitment of marriage?

Do you want to be with this person permanently and desire to solidify that with a legal partnership? Yes or No.

Happy Lemming

Yes... I remember similar situations. I actually had one girl give me an ultimatum, after a very nice date out. We were sitting on her couch about to make out. She informed me that we had been dating for just over two years and I had to get engaged to her or leave, so I left.

NEXT!!

If you are not ready, don't do it. 2 years, 5 years or 10 years, if you are not ready, don't do it. Marriage is a big deal and not something you should be coerced into entering.

Just my two cents...

• Author

Thank you so much for your advice guys. Thanks to these, I have the brave to talk to her.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Removed external links/advertising ~ V
Hi all! I and my girlfriend have fallen in love with each other for two years and we are so happy to be together up to now. Recently she has given me some signals that she wants to get married, but I'm not ready. What should I do now?

If I were you and my partner gives me ‘signs’ they want to get married , I’d run the hills even if it was something I might have considered. It just shows you what she really wants - Tha Ring to show off to her mama and friends, not a partnership in which both parties coevolve and get to decisions together:)

• Like 1

What is it you're not ready for?

Not sure where you live, but in a lot of countries there are a lot of legal advantages to being married, so it behooves one to get married if they are planning on being with their partner long term and want to build a future together.

If you're unsure you're with someone you'd like to be with long term, than that certainly something you have to think about.

What should I do now?

Alex, how old are you? Your question is a lot different if you're both 18 than it is if you're 30...

Mr. Lucky