When and where do you wear engagement ring?

I was wondering whether you girls wear your engagement rings all the time or just at special occasions? I have friends who wear 40 thousand $ engagement rings and wear them ALL THE TIME. Doing sports etc. I would be really scared to lose it or it being stolen (I live in Spain).

So, when and where do you wear yours? Thanks for your answer!

RecordProducer

If I had a $40,000 ring, I would say to my fiance one day: "Oh, my god, you won't believe this, but the ring you gave me turned somehow into a car! I've no idea how that happened!" :confused:

• Author

Record Player

I agree :-)

But still, I believe that you either go for somewhat "high quality" and therefore expensive (not 40 thousand!!) or you leave it!

So, say you do have a rather expensive ring on your finger when do you girls wear it? Every day or special occasions. I'm just wondering!

RecordProducer

I would make sure it can't slip off my finger even when I have soap on my hand. If the situation as risky, I would take it off. But the best way to lose a ring is to take it off often.

Mine isn't anywhere near as expensive as $40,000, but it is a lot of money to me. I wear it all the time. I'm afraid I'd lose it if I took it off and put it "somewhere safe". Besides, I love looking at it and it's insured. If it gets lost or broken, the cost is covered by insurance. I also take it to the jeweler every 6 months to have them check the setting to make sure it's still strong.

Isn't it normal to NOT wear your engagement ring after your married and just your band?

Nope. Well, unless you have a $40 K ring you don't want to lose in the dishwater or the garden. MY MIL had an exceedingly expensive emerald which she wore most of the time. Then again, she had a housekeeper.

HokeyReligions

If I had a 40k ring I'd wear it ALL the time -- and I'd be getting my nails done all the time too!

My ring is nowhere near that expensive but its not a cheap ring either and I wear it all the time. I take it off at night and put it in a cleaning solution and when I shower so I don't get a soap film on it. Otherwise, its on my finger. My original set was a diamond solitaire and solid band and I wore them together. I had the diamond reset into a more elaborate band with smaller diamonds around it a few years ago and I only wear that now. My solid band is in my jewelry box, but sometimes I wear it on a chain around my neck.

I think that most wedding rings are a set to be worn together, but I read somewhere about traditions in other areas where the engagement ring was removed after the wedding and saved or repurposed into another piece of jewelry with a new meaning to it. Something about the promise being made (engagement) and then sealed (married). It would be interesting to hear about the traditions in other parts of the world.

I like RecordProducer's answer though! :laugh: "Steve gave it to me, it's my engagement Hummer!" :p

I wear mine all the time, except when I am going to gym, or out surfing or something, as I wouldnt want to lose it or damage it. Once though I did wear it to the gym, and took it off when I was doing a particular weights exercise. I placed it down next to my water, and then FORGOT TO PICK IT UP. I remembered almost straight away, but it could not be found anywhere! After 20 mins of searching and me about to burst into tears, a girl handed it in. She'd seen it straight away and picked it up, obviously just before I'd walked back across the room to retrieve it.

Wow- a big lesson there in being MUCH more careful!

I cant imagine NOT wearing it now that I have a wedding band...my wedding band was made to fit around my engagement ring, and I love looking at them both.

I cannot fathom paying 40k for a ring

UltimateZen

When: All the time; except for doing dishes, changing the oil, etc.

Where: Wear it where you feel most comfortable. When you know you are going someplace where you know you will not be comfortable, get a regular gold band to wear instead. Thus you are still upholding the engagement and letting the world know that you have a man.

I just got engaged last Saturday and I'm leaving the country for two Months on Tuesday. I've gotten the ring sized and insured. I'm a bit nervous because I've heard that many people don't take expensive (NOT 40K) jewelry when travelling, but I can't imagine taking it off, so it's going with me.

So far the only times I've taken it off is in the shower. And of course when having it appraised for insurance and resized. I had to leave it with the appraiser for 3 hours and I kept checking my hand all the time. I can't imagine not having it for 2 months!!

• 6 months later...

I could hardly bear to take mine off the first year I was engaged. Swimming in my local pool one day I noticed it was a little loose, so went to transfer it onto my bigger middle finger...only I dropped it into the water! No problem, I thought. I'll let it settle then look under and get it.

I couldn't see it anywhere. It must really have drifted on the way down! At that point I panicked and grabbed the nearest swimmer (male) and said 'I'vejustdroppedmyengagementringwillyougetitforme!' and he dived and saw it immediately! Thank GOD! Yes, being more careful is a good approach!

Take it off when going to singles bars. :lmao:

My engagement ring was part of a set. I never took it off and when I got married, it was soldered (?) to the wedding band.

And $40K ? ? ? ? I don't think I'M worth $40K. I'd be afraid that I couldn't live up to the expectations. :lmao:

I just got engaged last Saturday and I'm leaving the country for two Months on Tuesday. I've gotten the ring sized and insured. I'm a bit nervous because I've heard that many people don't take expensive (NOT 40K) jewelry when travelling, but I can't imagine taking it off, so it's going with me.

So far the only times I've taken it off is in the shower. And of course when having it appraised for insurance and resized. I had to leave it with the appraiser for 3 hours and I kept checking my hand all the time. I can't imagine not having it for 2 months!!

Hey! I was Guest!! :D I didn't lose my ring, and I still only take it off when I shower or bathe.

What's the point of having a nice ring if it's too expensive to feel comfortable wearing?? Sounds silly to me!

I have only just got engaged - the only time I take my ring off though is when I am operating (I am a vet) - I'm planning on getting a gold chain though to hang it on when I am operating. I'm afraid I'll lose it if I don't keep it on all the time.

• 1 month later...

a forty K ring should last through anything, and insurance would guarantee, that if I don't kick the guys ass who's trying to steal it from me, at least it would be covered. I don't think theres many people who recognize it as 40K, but don't take the ring off. It means you got it all girl.

While I was married, I only wore my ring when I went out of the house.

When I traveled abroad or out of state, I wore a CZ that was similar to the one I usually wore at home. That way I never worried about having expensive things on me while in a hotel room etc.

My family knew if anything ever happened to me while I was gone, to go to the safe and distribute all of my jewelry according to my prior instructions. My favorite piece of jewelry is a 15,000.00 watch my husband gave me the first christmas we were married. It has rubies and diamonds surrounding the face and is very feminine. I have never seen another watch like it. I wear it when I go out - but not around the house while I clean or cook.

There are options now that weren't available back even ten years ago.

My advice is - be smart enough not to lose it but to enjoy what you have by wearing it often enough to enjoy owning it.