Wedding Day Tips

So as of Saturday I will be a married man! :eek::D

And before I go any further I ask of anyone who feels like doing me a favour to pray for sun for out our (maybe optimistic) outdoor September wedding! haha :o

But in the spirit of I'm in a great mood and because the as you would expect of forums like these the negative stories tend to outweigh the positive - what's your best wedding day advice? Or marriage advice would work too I guess!

I've been asking this on my FB too and for some reason all my friends seem to feel that 'giving the marriage certificate to someone more responsible' should be the first thing on my mind.........anyone would think they don't trust me with it or something :confused::lmao:

• Like 8
  • Author

You can see that I planned my wedding to coincide with the international Premier league break though - so y'know, i'm not totally clueless! :D:laugh:

• Like 1

Don't worry, they always give the certificate to the bride ;)

Make some time for each other. You'll get to the end of the day and barely have spoken because everyone wants a piece of you.

Don't put your arm around her shoulders if she's wearing a veil, it'll pull her head back.

Pace your drinking. It's a long day, and you want to enjoy it all.

Send her a little text in the morning when she's getting ready so all the women can ooooh over how romantic you are.

Think of what to say to her as she reaches you at the top of the aisle. Possibly not "I'm so glad Chelsea aren't playing this week"

Have fun!

• Like 8
melodymatters

Don't sweat the small stuff. As a theatre producer things go wrong EVERY SHOW, but most of the time the audience doesn't notice, and letting the details of what's not going perfectly get into your head just messes things up more !

As long as there is food, booze and the bride and groom are having a good time that's all you can expect and all that it really takes for a wedding to be fun and memorable !

As for after, make sure you have strong, honest and open communication lines. I've been in many relationships and the ones that work and work well are the ones where we can talk about anything; we don't withdraw, hide or play guessing games !

• Like 2

Two things:

1. EAT! Have a little something beforehand even if it's toast. Eat at your reception. Designate somebody to make you eat. Our coordinator literally handed us a small plate of food upon arrival & dragged us away from the guests when dinner was served & stood there with his hands on our shoulders under he was satisfied with our intake. Although I wasn't thrilled at the time if he hadn't done that I would not have eaten all day.

2. At various points in the day, take a minute to be IN the moment. Make a conscious choice to observe, say here I am, this is my wedding day, I feel the sun on my face, I hear birds / the music, I see ____ . It's like you are committing it to memory. They may be the only things you see clearly because the rest will be a blur

Congratulations. May you have a long happy life of love together.

• Like 3
  • Author
Don't worry, they always give the certificate to the bride ;)

Hahah must of learnt from experience! :laugh: Not that safekeeping of important objects is really my gf's forte - might be a job for my mum I think! :o

Make some time for each other. You'll get to the end of the day and barely have spoken because everyone wants a piece of you.

Don't put your arm around her shoulders if she's wearing a veil, it'll pull her head back.

Pace your drinking. It's a long day, and you want to enjoy it all.

All great stuff! :)

Send her a little text in the morning when she's getting ready so all the women can ooooh over how romantic you are.

haha very good! I like! :D:laugh:

Think of what to say to her as she reaches you at the top of the aisle. Possibly not "I'm so glad Chelsea aren't playing this week"

Hahahah! Your telling me Romeo didnt tell Juliet "Babe I don't have to worry about my dream team this week so i'm all yours!"? :eek::lmao::lmao:

what's your best wedding day advice?

I've read enough of your posts that I am not really worried about giving you advice. You seem rational, empathetic, kind, loving, even-tempered, and all the good things that a husband should be.

So I guess my best advice for you is to enjoy every phase of your marriage, realize that change is always constant in life, and to just keep appreciating your family and putting in the effort you put in to win her over. If you do, you will likely have a long and happy life together.

Congratulations!

• Like 5

Oh, somehow I read it as MARRIAGE advice. ooops.

My best wedding day advice: Hand out cheap cameras and let guests take photos. My favorite pictures aren't the staged photos from the photographer, but the quiet moments and funny candids captured by friends. Also have your photographer come to your reception and take candids. :)

• Like 4
  • Author
1. EAT! Have a little something beforehand even if it's toast. Eat at your reception. Designate somebody to make you eat. Our coordinator literally handed us a small plate of food upon arrival & dragged us away from the guests when dinner was served & stood there with his hands on our shoulders under he was satisfied with our intake. Although I wasn't thrilled at the time if he hadn't done that I would not have eaten all day.

Well, got to be honest, I'm thinking that for me this, is probably the one thing that isnt going to be an issue ;):lmao: We've got this wicked little company doing us an awesome hog roast + BBQ, the tasting we went to was the best thing, they cooked it all up just for me and the gf, though apparently my definition of tasting isnt everyone elses cause apparently theyve never seen anyone eat so much :cool::laugh:

2. At various points in the day, take a minute to be IN the moment. Make a conscious choice to observe, say here I am, this is my wedding day, I feel the sun on my face, I hear birds / the music, I see ____ . It's like you are committing it to memory. They may be the only things you see clearly because the rest will be a blur [/Q~UOTE]

I like this a lot :)

Congratulations. May you have a long happy life of love together.

Thank you :D

Eating is an issue because you get pulled in so may directions by so many people. We picked our venue in part for the food & I didn't get to eat any of the things I went out of my way to put on that menu. :(

How fit are the bridesmaids?

Well done mate! Going to be a great day. No tips just be you! You won`t fail. Let UTD do that for you!

• Like 1

Love is as much a choice as it is an action. Keep choosing each other. Don't be afraid to admit fault. Never stop enjoying your partner (as a lover, a best friend, and a team mate). And learn not to take their bad attitudes personally.

Or that's just what works for us :D.

• Like 2
  • Author
My best wedding day advice: Hand out cheap cameras and let guests take photos. My favorite pictures aren't the staged photos from the photographer, but the quiet moments and funny candids captured by friends. Also have your photographer come to your reception and take candids. :)

Ah yeah! Totally agree!

Our photographer is my best mates long term girlfriend, I've known her since school so I'm hoping that should help us towards some great pics!

• Author
How fit are the bridesmaids?

Well done mate! Going to be a great day. No tips just be you! You won`t fail. Let UTD do that for you!

Pretty fit, but not a patch on my bride obviously :D:laugh:

Hahahaha thanks mate!

As others have said, pace yourself. Make time to eat (though don't get any BBQ sauce down your shirt ;)). Be careful about alcohol - you will be moving round talking to your guests so much that you could easily lose track as they insist on getting you a drink or as you leave partially drunk glassed on the tables as you move around. Have a big glass of water stashed somewhere (and topped up regularly) so you can drink from that when you can.

Don't worry when something goes wrong. As Melody says, nobody else will notice and it won't spoil anything. Take time to breathe in the moments. Memories from this day will stay with you. This is the biggest day in your life together along with when your babies were born.

Make time to really look at your wife and take in how beautiful she looks. And tell her!

Relish calling her your wife for the first time and when she calls you her husband. It's soft, soppy and gooey but you'll love it.

Above all else, have a fabulous day. Try not to let the nerves get to you too much and just enjoy sharing this special event with those you love most.

As for marriage advice, I don't think you need it :)

• Like 1
Hope Shimmers

It is just a day. No matter what happens, you will be married at the end of it and that is the goal. The details matter NOTHING.

This is why I think huge expensive weddings are ridiculous.

You do what you can but you can't control life. My wedding day was in December in the Midwest and it turned out to be the worst blizzard in many years. One woman fell in the parking lot and broke her arm. The caterers were late due to the weather and people had to wait a long time for food (which was basic - at that time we paid $5.00 a plate for a simple buffet for 200 people).

At the end of the day you are married and that's what matters and what you should focus on. The rest that you can't control, just let it go and laugh about it.

I'm divorced now so I guess you should add that fact in to your opinion on my post :)

• Author

Thanks so much guys! It was an amazing day, best day of my life, without a doubt! and the sun shone for us so we were lucky!

Thanks for all the advice - on this and for the advice on everything else I've come seeking help on. If I'm honest then the day I came to this forum, however long ago that was now, I'd begun to lose sight just a little of the day where I'd be able to call the girl who was the love of my life my wife and two little beautiful boys my sons - but that days here and now.. and I'm a lucky man :D

Goes to show life's a bit like a maze - you can't just stop cause you never know just how close you are to the exit or when your prize is round the very next corner.

Anyway, roll on Friday and honeymoon!! :D:D haha! Though I think i'll miss my special little men something crazy!

• Like 6

Congratulations!

After so many posts and debates with you, I am convinced you will do great as a husband and father.

Advice from me after almost 25 years? I think you have read many of my posts and can learn from my mistakes without me giving you any additional advice. And I think you have read what happens when a man or woman cheats on his spouse. You know what not to do. I think you will be so scared to screw up and so in love to not want to screw up that you will have a good marriage for many years to come.

But of course, I am never speechless, so here goes..... :D

I will say that those wonderful feelings you have will change. They may even "disappear" at times due to anger or sadness or depression of frustration. But then the commitment that you made at your wedding must come into your mind and remind you that you promised for better or for worse.

Never forget that and you will continue forward. Nothing can break you up if you both honor your vows.

And those feelings that go up and down? They will never leave if you act on your commitment. You may wonder at times, but you will soon become secure in knowing that the love (commitment) that you have for her and she for you will overrride all negative feelings and bring back the positive ones.

None of that was to depress you. It is simply what I have learned. For awhile, the feelings we had for each other seemed to have disappeared, but once again as I knew they would, they have returned.

Enjoy your honeymoon and the first few months and perhaps years when those feelings are the most exciting. And look forward to the time when after a few years, those feelings will be outwardly a bit muted but inwardly so much stronger and secure.

Again, congrats and good luck! I know you will do well and build a strong and happy home.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks James :D:D

Never forget that and you will continue forward. Nothing can break you up if you both honor your vows.

I like that! Its very true! We wrote our own vow as well, which was nice, cause its personal - as long as I keep my word, can't screw up too much, right! :laugh:

• Like 2
Thanks James :D:D

I like that! Its very true! We wrote our own vow as well, which was nice, cause its personal - as long as I keep my word, can't screw up too much, right! :laugh:

Welcome back. :)

Now the real "fun" begins. :D

• Like 1
  • Author
Awesome stuff, hope the honeymoon was good too!

Ah was wicked cheers :D We went to St Lucia which was basically our wedding present from everyone - proper once in a life time stuff, quad biking round the jungle, zip lining, wind surfing, jet skiing all the bucket list stuff!Wicked! :D ..But hell, I did miss my two little men, so its nice to be home too - although by the looks of it they didn't miss us one jot which is just a little disappointing! :o:lmao:

• Like 1
Ah was wicked cheers :D We went to St Lucia which was basically our wedding present from everyone - proper once in a life time stuff, quad biking round the jungle, zip lining, wind surfing, jet skiing all the bucket list stuff!Wicked! :D ..But hell, I did miss my two little men, so its nice to be home too - although by the looks of it they didn't miss us one jot which is just a little disappointing! :o:lmao:

Very nice! At least you don't have to feel guilty ;)

• Like 1
  • Author
Very nice! At least you don't have to feel guilty ;)

Yeah! Tbh its really good! But still, they could of pretended at least, y'know a token gesture :p:laugh: Pretty sure Fraser didn't actually notice we'd gone anywhere, which doesn't wholly surprise me - it's basically just a change of waiter for Frayz :rolleyes::laugh: but I think our Ronnie was at least pleased to see the dog, so that's something I guess! :lmao: