Putting the wedding an hour early on invitation

AnneT1985

Hi y'all!

Hope you're doing well. So I was invited to a wedding recently that specifically said on the invitation 3 pm. Everyone arrived before that time. Then we find out from an employee it won't start until 4 pm because the bride wanted to make sure no one was late.

I have never been to a wedding that did this, and I heard some grumblings.

What do y'all think about this?

Thanks so much! xx

Art_Critic

sounds pretty rude of the bride, she wasn't considerate of each and every guest's own personal time.

IMO if someone wanted to leave at 4:00 and go home it should not have been an issue and I'd bet those grumbling thought about it.

mercuryshadow

I've never heard of that before! I could see if she asked guests to arrive 1/2 an hour early to be safe, but to dupe the guests into thinking it was starting at 3, rather than 4, is indeed a bit rude.

• Like 2
  • Author
AnneT1985

It was also in the middle of the country miles away from any town so guests could not leave to grab a coffee or anything and come back

pink_sugar
sounds pretty rude of the bride, she wasn't considerate of each and every guest's own personal time.

IMO if someone wanted to leave at 4:00 and go home it should not have been an issue and I'd bet those grumbling thought about it.

I agree. My dad does this all the time...when he invites me to movies and such. He tells me a certain time all for us to sit around for an hour.The movie ended up starting an hour later than he specified, which made it difficult for us, because we were staying overnight with my husband's grandmother and we needed to be back by a certain time (otherwise she stays up waiting for us). Inconsiderate. He thinks it's because we're always late, which isn't true. (The reason we show up later is that he always invites us an hour earlier to an event than everyone else and hence we're always sitting around waiting). He could avoid this by just telling us to meet him at the theaters and if we're late it's no skin off of him if we miss part of the movie or not.

Silly_Girl

Totally stinks. If it's an issue invite can say (for example) "1pm for 1.30".

• 3 weeks later...
nescafe1982

Like pretty much everyone else here, I would find that to be pretty rude on the part of the couple. And presumptuous.

IfWishesWereHorses

That's terribly rude! I'm afraid I couldn't enjoy the wedding because I would be so aggravated at being manipulated. Everyone knows to be early for a wedding. I certainly hope that they provided refreshments, comfortable seating and entertainment while you waited!

Hope Shimmers

Wow... just a new level of obnoxiousness and entitlement related to weddings, and brides/etc who think their 'day' should stop the world and rule all.

It never gets boring to see what people will come up with next to get guests to their wedding.

If I ever get married again, I will elope.

• Like 1
That's terribly rude! I'm afraid I couldn't enjoy the wedding because I would be so aggravated at being manipulated. Everyone knows to be early for a wedding. I certainly hope that they provided refreshments, comfortable seating and entertainment while you waited!

I don't know... I think it's ok to say half hour early on the invite. Maybe an hour is a bit long, but I don't think it's absolutely rude. There are guests who cannot be on time and that's rude as well.

I have many relatives who were married and cautioned the rest of us when it was our turn to put a half hour lee-way time on our invites (they didn't and wish they did). One of my relatives had a "door locked" policy that when the ceremony started, the doors were closed. It was an 11 AM ceremony and she started 11 AM on the dot. Some guests were late and were pretty loud and distracting. It wasn't just the bride. In fact it was the groom who was really upset about it because it was his rude and inconsiderate family members who thought it would start when they got there.

Totally stinks. If it's an issue invite can say (for example) "1pm for 1.30".

Tricking your guests into waiting an hour is definitely rude and obnoxious. The above is what I have mostly seen on invitations. Something like, "Please arrive by 1:00 for a 1:30 ceremony."

It allows the guests to know what is expected of them, but also gives them a half an hour for any unforeseen traffic or other problems. It also gives the guests a short time to mingle before the ceremony.