Delayed and

Inmyhead1986

Inmyhead1986

My boyfriend and I are set to be engaged this year. I'll be moving in with him in less than a month, but tonight I received a phone call.

He told me that his family is conservative, and that he wants to throw a huge party already set in June at his new home. No problem.

We've dated for several years, and I've never met his family, as he has explained that traditionally we needed to be engaged before doing so. I've been understanding. Tonight hd explained with his extended family will be at the party, and because we are not yet engaged, he would need to 'hide my things.' While I have been extremely patient with the delay with parents, I don't know how to respond. As much as I'd like to be easy going, I feel that I am green-lighting a lifetime of putting my autonomy first, to cater to his family and it his own selfish needs. Why not delay the party? Or why not wait until after to make the move in.

Help.

Since you are already planning to be engaged, why not formalize it before you move in rather than hiding from the family? If it's a matter of $$, you don't need an expensive ring to declare your intentions.