Renewing wedding vows. Please share your ideas :)

When my husband and I got married we were unable to have a large wedding. Our 5th anneversary is comming up next year and we are going to have a big ceremony and renew our vows.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to word the invitations? How about vows? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm so excited:) I've always wanted a big wedding!

lydiamarie

The honour of your presence

is requested at the reaffirmation

of the wedding vows of

Mr. and Mrs. _________

Saturday, the second of December

at four o'clock

1st Baptist Church

Savannah, Georgia

and at a reception following

in the Church basement

lydiamarie

how about a blessing of your rings. you can repeat your original vows and maybe say something about why it is so important to you that you renew your vows (maybe at the reception, if not during the ceremony).

you and your husband could start out the reception by each telling a story that illustrates what these last five years have meant to you and then inviting everyone else to come up and tell stories of their own.

you could walk down the aisle alone or together.

pull elements from your first wedding into this ceremony. if you had a smaller ceremony the first time, you could use the same (or similar) colors or flowers. maybe you could wear your old dress or a simplified version of it.

if you eloped or married at a courthouse, etc. you could pull elements from the city you were married in. maybe you were married on the coast, so you could give sea theme favors.

ooh i love planning weddings! i can't wait till i have my own to plan (i suppose i need to find a man first! i don't suppose your husband has an brother?... ;) )

Same story with me and my H Mrs. Sarah. I am not against the idea but also not really excited to do it either right now.

He wants to on our 5th ann....we've only been married 2 1/2 yrs.

I'm sure my mind will change for either for it or against it by then.....well see.

But what is it for? Does it change anything? I'm not sure exactly what the purpose is....maybe I need more education on the subject.

kirkyswife

My husband and I are reaffirming our vows on our 12th wedding anniviversary (July 4, 2005) after a 10 year separation and 1 year reconciliation. This recommitment ceremony is important to us to renew the vows we said to one another in 1993 to reaffirm our commitment to one another before God and in the presence of our close friends and family.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to word the invitations?

We are struggling with this -I've seen some good ideas on http://www.TheKnot.com

How about vows?

My husband the poet, wants to write vows - I am not a poet more of an editor agree but insist that traditional vows be included.

I also favor:

Before God and in the presence of our family and those special to us

I, kirkyswife, give to you, Kirk, a new promise, and yet not so new

A new wife, and yet not so new'

And new affirmation of love from my heart that has loved you for 12 years

And will love you for as many more as God allots it.

-or something like that.

Try these sites for inspiration:

http://www.foreverwed.com/

http://www.electpress.com/loveandromance/page45.htm

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also suggest:

1. Unity Candle

2. Ethnic/Cultural Traditions - my husband and I are considering jumping the broom - which is traditional to African American history and significant to our marriage.

3. Elements that incorporate the significance of your Anniversary year - mine is 12th and is Linen/Silk and Pearls so My hubby will wear a Linen suit, I will wear a Silk gown with pearls - get it?

I'm excited as well and wish you luck - keep me posted if you run into any exciting sites or ideas. Also

• Author

kirkyswife - those are some great ideas. Thanks! I also found weddingchannel.com very helpful.