Ladies - are YOU the one making him wait for marriage?

RiverRunning

RiverRunning

I'm just curious what the responses are going to be. I see so many 'He doesn't want to marry me anymore' or 'He's not sure if he wants to marry' threads. Have any women been in the OPPOSITE situation, where he's gunning for marriage and you're the one who's ring-shy?

Yes. He missed his window of opportunity. I was ready and he wasn't. Then when the came round to the idea and proposed, it was too late. That was the beginning of the end.

I met my ex boyfriend when I was 19 (I am 28 now) and he wanted to get married while we were still in college! I was young, planned on going to grad school and did not want to get married at that time. Turns out he was a pathological liar so I suppose he was trying to get me to marry him as some kind of entrapment plan. Thank goodness I didn't give in! I broke up with him, a year later met my now husband. With that relationship it was the opposite, I wanted marriage and he wasn't ready but he came around. We just celebrated our 1 year anniversary and have a baby on the way!

Well, I have turned down one proposal, and I broke an engagement; both were many years ago and I just knew I wasn't ready for such a serious commitment, it didn't feel right.

When my husband first proposed, I said no, but only because I wasn't sure if his heart was really set on it--we had been living together a couple of years very happily and had kind of idly discussed marriage, but not seriously, and not as anything imminent. Then I became pregnant with our son, and then he asked me to marry him, but I knew that he was a little afraid of marriage and so I was afraid he was only asking because of the pregnancy. We decided to have our child together and several months into the pregnancy, we talked about marriage again. He actually proposed to me twice more, once at the beach at sunset when our son was only a couple of weeks old, after which we went ring shopping together. The final proposal was on Christmas Eve, with the ring. I was pretty sure he really meant it by then :laugh:. Ah, hormones. I'm not sure if that story counts though because if it hadn't been for the circumstances making me wary, I would have accepted the first time.

Yes, been there. I married, but it was way too early for my liking. Personally I'd be fine without the paper, it's not important to me. Commitment to me is a state of mind, not something that has to be affirmed in a ritual.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as january2011. Back when I first moved in with him I was gung ho about getting married to him and really wanted us to make things "official" as my parents like to say. But he hesitated and waited and eventually my eagerness turned into apathy. After months of doing all the laundry, dishes, cooking, and a good chunk of the cleaning in our apartment and basically being asked to act like the perfect wife without the title, I got sick of it. Did I want to marry him to just have the ceremony? No, in fact I told him I'd be most happy if we eloped and just had a really nice honeymoon. I wanted to marry him because I loved him and wanted to be his wife and the woman who would stand by his side forever. But since he dragged his feet, I stopped caring and now that he's finally starting to realize he could lose me, he now wants to get engaged and start planning our life together more.

I'm just curious what the responses are going to be. I see so many 'He doesn't want to marry me anymore' or 'He's not sure if he wants to marry' threads. Have any women been in the OPPOSITE situation, where he's gunning for marriage and you're the one who's ring-shy?

Absolutely.

I had strong suspicions I wouldn't be a good wife.

I was still traveling often and wasn't ready to give it up.

But I was young-ish.

And he was everything a girl could ask for.

I went ahead eventually, giving in to his persistance.

Married the day after graduating college, we divorced at a few years later.