Tell your funny/horrible wedding stories here.....

red-rose-in-winter

red-rose-in-winter

Does anyone out there have any funny or horrible wedding stories to tell? I know the "big day" isn't supposed to go perfectly, but sometimes you just have to look back on what happens that day and either laugh or sigh at what happens.

I've been married for two years now, and I wouldn't change our wedding day for anything. We got married in October 2001 and the weather was sunny and 70 degrees outside. You couldn't ask for a prettier day!!!

But we did have a few "snags" (mostly before the wedding). One of my bridesmaids waited until the very last minute to get her bridesmaid's dress even fitted!!! Then the bridal shop gave the unfinished dress to my other bridesmaid by accident, and when my friend that hadn't had her dress even sized yet came to the bridal shop, I had to call my other friend and tell her that she had the wrong dress!!!

Then when I had my wedding gown ironed at the bridal shop a couple of days before the wedding, the "assistant" that was working there that was ironing my dress held a HOT iron directly on my dress while she was busy talking!!! I about had a heart attack!! (Luckily the dress wasn't burned!!!)

Then the lady who was supposed to be directing the wedding backed out on me and had her Mom (who didn't know what she was doing) direct the wedding. And she flirted with the (married) pastor the whole time we were rehearsing the ceremony!!!

Then someone stole my "throw-a-way" bouquet (the one you throw to the single girls). I had to use a red rose from our altar flower arrangement. My husband said that the florist did bring the throw-a-way bouquet to the church, because he saw her bring it in.

But despite all the funny things that happened, I still wouldn't change a thing about our wedding day!!!!

HokeyReligions

Lets see,

A week before the wedding my mom wanted me to get my hair "done" and she bought me a haircut and a perm. The perm only took on part of my hair, I didn't realize that until I washed my hair a day or so later and by then I didn't have enough time to go back before the wedding. My hair looked terrible and I ended up cutting it really short right before I got married. That same day Mom and I went to a store so I could try to find a skirt and/or blouse that would work with what I already had, and that I could also wear to work. In the parking lot we were jumped and pushed by another women who claimed I stole her parking spot (I never even saw her - she was around the corner when I found the parking spot) We weren't hurt but it was NOT pleasant. I found a peach-colored blouse and a green linen skirt.

I worked a half day on my wedding day. I had told them weeks before that I needed that half day off and why. They told me I couldn't take the half day and needed me to work especially since I was going to take 8 days off within a couple of weeks. I had to go to top management and tell them that it was approved in advance and explain again that I needed the afternoon off to get married. They grudgingly allowed me to leave.

My mom and sister-in-law met us at the apartment when I got home from work. Hubby-to-be was acting like a nervous lunatic until his best friend showed up. Mom, SisIL and I drove to the JP in one car. Hubby & his best friend drove in another car. We got inside and waited. At one point hubby-to-be stood up to go get a newspaper and everyone but me jumped up and pushed him back down and told him he was NOT leaving! We were the last to be married that day. All the other couples went into the judges chambers. The judge walked out and realized that there was one more couple waiting - us. So we all stood in the middle of the court room, with the doors open and the general populous one sees in a court house milling about outside - sometimes walking in, and we said our vows and were married. My SisIL took a couple of blurry pictures that cut us off – she had an old 126 Kodak with the cube flash. You can see part of hubbys face, and part of my arm in one picture, and most of my head and part of hubbys hand in another.

I rode back to the apartment with my SisIL and mom, and hubby and friend went in a separate car - stopping at the store to pick up some soft drinks.

Back at the apartment my father-in-law & his wife showed up with some relative that I'd never met before. FIL had already been drinking. Hubby's friends' wife showed up (they were having problems and divorced a year later) and we ordered pizza with the money that we got as wedding presents. Except for friends wife - she gave us some kind of Chinese display plate - a cheap one at that.

After a while my brother showed up - wearing bib overalls and a flannel shirt. He couldn't get off work and came straight from there. He stayed about 15 minutes then took my SisIL and left. As it turned out the dog that we found and loved and raised for a few years and which we gave to my brother when we moved into the apartment (because he had a yard) was very sick and he died later that day.

Meanwhile, my FIL (the raging alcoholic) was trying to get my mother to actually place a money bet on how long the marriage would last - he kept saying "no more than 3 months, but I'll give you a six month spread" and my mother was in tears and horrified. Hubby, his friend and I spent the evening trying to keep that worthless drunk away from my mother, and keep my brother (when he was there) from kicking the sh*t out of my FIL, and listening to hubby's friends' wife constantly compare other weddings to ours, and listen to my MIL talk about what I needed to do in the apartment and how I didn't know how to keep the place clean and organized, etc. And then my FIL got really mean and they finally left, followed by hubby's friend and wife.

We calmed mom down (she was staying at the apartment for two nights as my husband and I drove to Galveston for our honeymoon). It took us over a year to save the money to pay for gas, food, and a hotel for two nights in Galveston, and a little bit of money for sight-seeing while we were there. The whole honeymoon cost about $250. We were the only people in my family to ever have a honeymoon.

Almost a week after we got back I left for almost two weeks to drive my mother to California where she was moving. Hubby stayed home. You just haven’t lived until you have driven a Buick with a bad trailer hitch and a U-Haul trailer, and bleeding brake lines, through the mountains up to the Grand Canyon and then on thru Nevada and into California! That trip cost more but mom helped pay for it. We had to have the brake line replaced and a new trailer hitch put on because the hitch caused the car and trailer to “buckle” and it cut into the brake line and we had no brakes. There are signs in the mountains that tell trucks and cars pulling trailers to use specific lanes – and there is a lane with signs that clearly state “Runaway Truck Lane” which scared the heck out of mom.

I had never lived that far away from her before and it was over five years before I saw my mother again. I really needed her closer those first five years of my marriage because everything I described was the easiest part - but that’s a story for another day.

My wedding actually went pretty smoothly. But I don't think there is ever a wedding that doesn't have a little something that goes wrong. But it's the little oopsies that happen that give each wedding it's uniqueness.

At my rehearsal dinner, noone showed up on time!! We did the rehearsal with these people missing: A groomsman, a bridesmaid, both flower girls, the ring bearer, and THE PREACHER!!! Luckily, they all made it to the dinner, and we rehearsed again after the dinner. But my youngest flower girl was the only one that was originally supposed to be in the wedding and she would NOT walk down the aisle!! She was only 3. So we got an older girl, one of my cousins, to be a flower girl and walk with her, and she did excellent in the wedding.

Then during the ceremony, the ushers had a hard time rolling out the aisle runner. It took them about 5 minutes to get it to roll down correctly! And my youngest flower girl started picking up the rose petals she had thrown during the ceremony!!! :laugh:

Those are the only things that didn't go as planned at my wedding. But it was all cute and added a few laughs to the emotional day. I had a gorgeous wedding, and it couldn't have been better. I wouldn't change a thing. :love:

HokeyReligions

Way back when wedding videos were just coming into vogue we taped an outdoor wedding at a local restaurant / wedding spot. Full of peacocks. The minister, bride & groom had to practically scream to be heard above the screeching of the peacocks! "Do you take this man..." "WHAT? WHAT DID YOU SAY?" "D O Y O U T A K E . . ." :)

We didn't pick up their voices very well on the tape either! The place was beautiful and the birds looked lovely and quaint - but the noise!

OMG Hokey, you stole my thunder. I bet I know the place, if it's in Houston. My hubby and I got married at Vargo's...very nice restaurant and popular outdoor wedding spot. Lovely stream flowing through the property, lots of greenery, azaleas blooming in the spring (we got married in March), a little bridge with a pathway going up to a gazebo...and lots of those pretty peacocks wandering around.

But, yeah, when we were planning the wedding nobody told us that peacocks make this horrible screeching noise! During the wedding, everytime one of them would do their thing, we'd all have to try to control ourselves from giggling. At the time I was so engrossed in the ceremony and what I was supposed to say, etc. that I didn't notice it that much, but when you go back and watch that wedding video you can't help but laugh.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by moimeme

You two should get together for tea :) Or whatever people in Houston get together for! :D

We get together for AIR CONDITIONING! ;)

My husband and I had to get married at a court house before we got married at our church. Normally, you go to the court house the same day as your church wedding. Not so for us.

In this country (in Eastern Europe), the court house wedding department was closed the entire month of May, so that ruled out any chance of going to the courthouse the same day as our May wedding.

Why on earth would a wedding department be closed in May? I guessed that it was because they took a holiday before all the June weddings. WRONG! It's because in this country's language, some ancient verb for "to struggle" has its roots in the word "May". So, to avoid a lifetime of struggling (their words), they don't let you get married in May.

whatEVER.

So, we had to get married at the courthouse in April. Now, my husband is not from this country (nor am I) but we did the courthouse "ceremony", with some very staid, unsmiling lady in a suit, officiating. She said everything in the local language, talking for ages. My husband only understands the language at a very basic level.

Essentially, she got to the part where, "Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?" and looked meaningfully at my husband, who was looking at me smiling and had no idea she was posing a question. There was a long pause.

I looked at him, horrified, and hissed, "say 'yes!'". He started sputtering, kind of confused, "Oh, ah, yes, sure, yes!" I giggled.

The staid lady did not find this funny at all. "You cannot force this man to marry you! He must say it of his own free will! Now I have to start all over again!" I was so embarrassed (and yet secretly delighted that something so silly had happened).

Fortunately our church wedding, a month later, was a lot smoother (we used a translator!)

Originally posted by moimeme

You two should get together for tea :) Or whatever people in Houston get together for! :D

I agree! I would love to do that. We'll work on doing that someday, okay, Hokey? :)

And it's relatively cool here today, for a change.