My fiance bought me a moissanite and I hate it, please help!

My fiance just recently proposed at his sisters wedding reception (our 1 year anniversary). We went shopping for rings 6 months prior to this, and he got me the exact setting that I wanted... except for some errors. 1. I told him not to propose at his sisters wedding, but he did. 2. I told him not to take out any loans for it, which he borrowed money for. 3. It's a fake diamond. The ring has side stones, which are real diamonds, and they are more prettier than the center moissanite. I thought it was a fake because I knew we didn't have the money for him to buy it, and the color is not great. The day after he proposed he told me it was a fake, and I was truly hurt. He told me later on after we get married that we could upgrade the stone to a real diamond. I'm really hurt by his selection and told him I was a little offended. He was really upset because he thinks the ring is spectacular. No further discussions have been brought up by either of us... he broke down crying when I told him I was disappointed. I feel that your engagement ring should be something that the girl likes, and the guy shouldn't go the cheap way because it should be worn for the rest of your life. Any advice on how I can change my ring? I know I'm not marrying the ring, and I do love him very much, I however think I deserve something I like.

He proposed to you at his sister's wedding?!? DAHAHAHAHAH! Was she pissed off? Talk about stealing thunder.

My engagement ring only cost $13.00 from the pawn shop.....it doesn't sound like you would have been happy with that. You didn't want him to take out a loan, but you didn't want him to skimp on the quality.

You didn't want him to propose at the reception....You seem kind of picky to me. You told him you were disappointed? Poor guy. I'd run fast and far from you if I were him.

I know that my little post doesn't help but I'll write it anyway.

As much I love the US I am always amazed of how different people are (no judging, SERIOUSLY)

I come from Switzerland and there is two things we do not do:

We don't go into marriage when we still have a lot of debt (generally the Swiss absolutely HATE having debt, it is absolutely uncommon)

and secondly: those big rocks on your finger for an engagement are uncommon as well. Let alone the girlfriend claiming to get one and then complaining about it. (I am dating an English guy, so it's a bit different ;-)

Anyway, I am not judging but just find the idea of taking out a loan (in this recession anyway!) to put a rock on your girlfriends finger, so she can run to her friends showing it off a funny thing to do!

What about saving that money for some holidays you can both enjoy.

I mean, if I have a rich boyfriend who has saved a lot of money and it is sitting in his bank account I would find it appropriate to get a beautiful diamond ring. But knowing your future husband is in debt because that one carat on your hand?

I don't know!!??

• 5 weeks later...

I am with the Swiss girl!

US does rock, but

There were no engagement rings in Russia. You decide to get married and you do. Wedding band is what, after all, represents the infinity of your love, respect and etc.

Here in US, it turned into competition. Even though I do have a 2 ct very nice ring (he had the money at the time), but a lot of times I feel uncomfortable wearing it.

Here is what makes me sick: I feel that in this country, it became more about the ring then about the fact that two people just decided to spend the rest of their lives together, to bring two families together and to raise wonderful kids one day.

You get the point…

I only paid $200 Dollars my wifes ring.

I was given the diamond.

Is it shallow for a woman to worry about the ring?? Not sure.

But I would never marry a woman who was as concerned as you apear to be.

Shortly, We are replacing her ring with a Silver or Platinum band, because she now really preferes the white metals. Her new ring will not even have a diamond in it.

A man you purport to love gives you a ring and proposes marriage to you and you are offended!

Honey, you don't sound nearly mature enough to get married.

Let the poor guy go and mend his own broken heart and maybe meet someone who will appreciate him.

I didn't like the ring my husband picked either. It wasnt that the stone was small (it was) but just the look of it didn't appeal to me.

It bothered me for a whole..........35 minutes.

I loved the love behind it.

I think people get wrapped up in the material aspect of weddings, etc and what people HAVE or don't have in terms of money. What has happened to people's values?

Why is the diamond so important anyways? what does it signify? I love diamonds but finding the man I love is priceless to me.

my 2 cents...

d1410

He said you could upgrade, correct? I know of many people who have done just that.

So, he bought the ring you selected, but you are dissatisfied because of fake diamond? If he couldn't afford the ring with a fake diamond without a loan, I don't understand how more could be expected at this time. It seems like a pretty unfair expectation!

In the US anyway, the wedding rings are a symbolic piece of jewelry that should suit the couple. It isn't all about image and materialism, though. When I get married, I'd love an heirloom ring or something less expensive but unique. The tradition and meaning of the wedding ring is what it's all about!

Anyway, all I can say is, talk to him about it! If you feel the situation is unfair, find a tactful way to express your distress. If he does not see your opinion, how are you going to proceed?

The treasure is really the relationship itself, is it not!?

ThisGirlNameKD

If your child asked you to wear a macaroni necklace to work that they spend alot of time making and painting, I'm sure you would do it to make them happy...you may not necessarily care for it, but you're showing your child that you appreciate what they done for you and for their efforts. Well I'm pretty sure your fiance felt the same way when he was giving you the ring...he didn't have to tell you it was fake either (you probably didn't know it until the next day), but nonetheless, he was thrill to give it to you. You don't have to spend thousands or millions on a ring. The price of the ring does not equate to the price of the relationship. Would it kill you to wear the ring until it possible to get it upgraded?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

you are really materialistic. i agree with y'all, in the US it's a competition. i actually got to pick my engagement ring and you know what i picked? A .4 carat solitaire. yup, you saw right, not 2 carats. not 1 carat. Not even half a carat!! .4 carats - and my fiance didn't even have a budget! sky was the limit, he said. in America, it's DISGUSTING how women HAVE to have that diamond and be like J.-HO or else the world will end. just wake up, realize the guy loves you (after all, he DID cry over you - if that doesn't tell you he loves you, you don't deserve him). give him a huge hug and tell him what a materialistic b_tch you were acting like, and if he believes you're TRULY sorry, he might take you back if you're lucky!

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know how many children are kidnapped and forced to fight for African warlords for diamonds each year?

How many people each year are murdered so that you can have a sparkly piece of compressed charcoal on your finger?

Do you know how many wars are financed by those diamonds?

How many hundreds of millions of dollars go to international terrorist orginizations through the use of these blood diamonds?

The next time you look at that ring on your finger I want you to think about how many lives your fiancee saved by refusing to bow down to the international diamond syndicate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3133108.stm

http://www.amnestyusa.org/diamonds/

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,815450,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/europe/07/17/belgium.diamond.congress/index.html

• 1 month later...

I understand you want a big ring.. but you did tell him no loans, and like you even said he said he'd upgrade. One thing you do need to learn about men is that sometimes saying nothing is best.You should have thought of the effort he put into it and just have smiled.. he didn't lie if he told you it wasn't a real diamond..

he probably was so excited about how he thought it passed for one he let you think it for a day then told you the next day thinking you'd be blown away with the money he saved on a mossinite and how it looked so much like a real one.

My husband and I are upgrading my real .25 ct diamond after 9 years of marriage

he told me I could use our taxreturn to pick any ring out I wanted.. I got on ebay with him and bought a beautiful mossinite 1 ct ring for $350.00 I didn't even put a

dent in the taxreturn.. I love my jewelry too but I just couldn't see blowing all that money on myself on a 2,000 natural diamond that someone might rob me for on the street or that I'd have to buy insurance for? and if a prug broke I'd lose the stone. Seemed to be a waste of money too me. Plus mossinite is so close to the real thing even jewelry experts have trouble telling the difference.. So much they now have mossinite detectors. Your and him are the only ones who know unless you told everyone you know how cheap you think he is. I think he's smart and diamonds are a waste of money you can't take them with you when you die honey.

and for 2,000 a natural diamond better have a built in tv and cd player or else it's just a rock somebody found in a cave somewhere.. wait it is...

Gold digger! lets see, I believe I posted a thread about this. Ah yes it was called "What kind of car do you drive?"

I'm not going to attack you for being disappointed. If you are....you are.

All you can do is sit down and talk with him honestly. Make a decision as a couple what you can afford and what is the best way to shuffle the finances so you both will be happy. If it's worth it to both of you to make the financial investment by taking a loan, then do so.

Good Luck to both of you.....I hope you find a solution which makes you both happy. :)

Just noticed how old this thing was. Guess it got recylced. I wonder if she ever got her ring???? HAHA!

I'm wondering if she did get another ring or if she saw anyones point in this room?

Sometimes people think they want others opinions but what they really want is someone to agree with them and all it takes is 1 person to a 100 that don't...

I guess what I'm trying to say is people are gonna do whatever they want anyway wheather they know it or not.

So anyone else in here have a mossinite ring? I'm getting one in the mail and wondering what another owner thinks of the stone. thanks. kelly26

• 2 weeks later...

another perspective on engagment rings. i would love a huge shiny rock of carbon on my finger. thats my materalistic side speaking.

on the other hand...i am disturbed by the blood shed over this "rare"(not) material. I was at first saddened when my current bf said he would never buy a diamond, but, i more admire his compassion over this issue, which i have always shared.

i would love to have a unique sapphire or an antique stone reset.

i have a wonderful inherited fake thats awesome.

the only admirable thing about a diamond ring is...a long time ago, it was a security for the wife to have a diamond, because if something happened to the husband,(the family provider), the wife, could sell it to take care of the family.

an insurance policy before there was insurance.

besides what do you think mobrew23 would have prefered, a large fake or a tiny real one. i suspect her bf knew what was appropriate for her. If i were a man and my gf bitched about the ring, i would give her 200 dollars and tell he to have fun at walmart. this is really pathetic.

I bought a moissanite 1ct ring from this seller on ebay he's awesome

and it looks just like a diamond I paid 400.00 including shipping and free sizing.

And everyone I've showed it to says "oh my god what a beautiful diamond."

The guy was so nice and overnighted the ring to me free because I was so excited about it..I will never again buy a diamond and pay all that money out when I can buy a moissanite for a 10th of the price of a diamond and get a huge stone that noone can tell the difference between. I also have a warranty on the ring so if anything happens that stones replaceable IM SO HAPPY I'll see if the guy minds if I post his ebay user name on this sight and if not I'll come back and post for all of you to see the stuff he sells for yourself. -kelly26

Ugh. Don't get me started on diamonds and DeBeers. So overrated. Everytime I seen an ad of theirs I get annoyed. At least DeBeers is running scared now with a few companies coming out with 100% natural diamonds yet they are man/machine made. Next step in computing tech is going to use diamonds..so they'll fund their research/tech with stones they make. Perfect, colored stones at $5 a carat.

A question tho, as a guy who isn't up on rings etc. ;) . Which do you wear all the time? I thought it was the wedding ring that was worn all the time and not the engagement ring? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by katboldt

you are really materialistic. i agree with y'all, in the US it's a competition. i actually got to pick my engagement ring and you know what i picked? A .4 carat solitaire. yup, you saw right, not 2 carats. not 1 carat. Not even half a carat!! .4 carats - and my fiance didn't even have a budget! sky was the limit, he said. in America, it's DISGUSTING how women HAVE to have that diamond and be like J.-HO or else the world will end. just wake up, realize the guy loves you (after all, he DID cry over you - if that doesn't tell you he loves you, you don't deserve him). give him a huge hug and tell him what a materialistic b_tch you were acting like, and if he believes you're TRULY sorry, he might take you back if you're lucky!

You are that 6ct diamond, honey. You're an ambassador for women all over. :love: