Didn't Return Ring

About 9 months ago, my boyfriend proposed to me. I said no because I wasn't ready. He understood and after careful thought, he realized that he wasn't ready either. We have been happily dating ever since and this has not affected our relationship.

When he did propose, I did not like the ring. It was yellow gold and I prefer silver. It was also just not my style. I didn't think much of it at the time. But, last week, I accidently stumbled upon the ring. I had always assumed that he had returned the ring...but he kept it. And he'll keep it another year at least because that's how much school I have left.

Should I say that I saw that he still had the ring and that I didn't like the ring?

2 issues here,

(1) How do you tell somebody that you don't like a gift? (but, it's an engagement ring, so that's different, right?)

(2) He'd be pissed if he found out I was snooping!

When my husband proposed to me, I didn't like the ring either. I just talked to him about it and told him that it wasn't my style...and low and behold - I got my dream ring!

Anyway - for your situation....I would just not tell him that you saw the ring and next time you two talk about getting engaged or marriage or something say something like this:

"That ring you bought me was really pretty, but I saw one one day in________(a magazine, jewlery stor, etc) that I loved so much! It's so beautiful..it's exactly the kind of ring I have always wanted! It's silver/white gold/platinum....(describe it)... Can I show you sometime?"

By saying something like that, maybe it will give him the hint that you want a different kind of ring than the one he got. That's the best way I know to tell you to go about it.

Good Luck!

But, last week, I accidently stumbled upon the ring.

How was this snooping?

• Author

I shouldn't have been looking in his drawers. It was kinda an accident...I didn't think he hid anything there.

By the way, thanks for the advice. I'll just wait till the subject comes up again. But, I don't think you can return that stuff when it's been over 30 days.