Looking at engagement rings...

40daydream

For the past few days, I have been browsing the internet for engagement rings and I can't stop myself! I'm not engaged yet, but I want to have a good idea of what designs I wouldn't mind having on my finger. That way, my bf and I can shop around together when he brings up the subject of rings. :)

So far, I know for sure that I want a white metal like platinum...gold just is not a good look for me, hah. That part shouldn't be hard to shop for. My biggest concern is the diamond (yup, I only want one!), which I know very little about.

I checked out a few other forums for diamond info, but I am still mostly clueless. I know about the 4 C's and I've seen people write about diamond grading labs, and most of them have suggested only buying a diamond that comes with a report.

Anyway, is it true that the only way to know the 4 C's of each stone is to look at a grading report? Do I need to look at one for each diamond I am interested in seeing? And, is one lab is this more trustworthy or accurate than the others, or are they mostly similar? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance...I appreciate your help! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I hope from my own search I can shed some light on this for you...

The 4 Cs are definitely important although there is more to it than just this...

Imagine a bell shaped curve, the better the diamond, the fewer there are...

OK with that in mind, I would place the most importance on Cut... You can have a D- Colour, Internally Flawless, 1 Ctw stone but if it has a poor cut it will look dull... In the same breath you can have a J- I2, 1Ctw Ex Cut that will blow you away... Cut is (IMO) the most important part...

I would not recommend buying a Diamond that is not graded by either GIA or AGS... these are the most respected grading systems and will be recognised by most everybody... yes there are other grading systems but I would avoid them (especially the stores certs... dont let them tell you otherwise)

On to inclusions:

I would read up on the individual types of inclusions to get a better idea of what is what... if you want a Diamond that is "eye clean" aka clear to the naked eye you will want to stay at VS2 or higher... VS2 should have no visible inclusions...

The last little tidbit is on fluorescence... Some say its fine, others say it isnt... If you do a search on diamond fluorescence you will be able to learn all you want...

I found this to be fun to learn about an dam excited to be buying an engagement ring in the next few weeks :)

Good Luck and happy learning

Hi friend,

I have also same problem. Actually i have bought a red color gemstone, that look beautiful

but i don't know how to verify it's purity. Because Shopper says it's 2 carat pure.

Thank in advance for any suggestion.

Why are you looking at rings if you're not engaged? I assume you're planning on getting engaged soon, otherwise you're jumping the gun a little!

Aw c'mon, the trying on rings with your girlfriends before you actually get it is the best part!

When I knew my fiance was getting ready to propose (he's as subtle as a rock), I went out with my girlfriends, tried on rings and drank wine. We had a ball! Ultimately, it was a bit of a setup. My fiancee had asked my one girlfriend to get an idea of what I wanted. She was a total plant for him!

The good news? I found one I loved and it spoke to my heart. Yes, I thought about the details - somewhat and cut is definitely the most important - but I led with my heart. That's how I chose a mate and the ring is really a much less significant choice than the guy who gives it to you!

Have fun shopping... it's almost as much fun as looking for a house!

the pricescope forums listed earlier are a great place to learn about diamonds.

While looking at settings on-line is fun, don't buy one on-line with out first seeing the style in person at a store. You will be amazed at what looks good on-line you will hate in person and also the other way around.

So go to the store, pick out the style you want and then find it on-line for less!