Clueless! How do I propose?!?

Okay, my problem is this. How does a guy propose? The romance stuff is fine. Got that sorted :) . But what is the etiquette with regards to the ring? I'd really like to buy a ring for her after I initially propose. Is that okay? Or is that frowned upon? If I buy 'the ring' after do I use a substitute ring when I'm on one knee? Will any ring do temporarily? :confused:

I want to do this partly coz she has very specific tastes, and while I know the style shes wants .... I still want to get it right. Plus I know she would love the "shopping for a ring" aspect and I'd hate to deprive her of that!

I'd really appreciate some advice!

Furdy

sounds like you've got the answer already, dude: Propose, then take her shopping for the ring. If she has a specific kind of ring in mind, it's best to let her chose so that you know she'll like what she gets.

a thought ... if she likes jewelry in general, and if funds aren't a problem, think about getting a sweet simple ring to give her when you do pop the question. That way, you still get to give her "a ring," she gets to pick out the engagement ring AND gets another pretty ring to wear on her other hand.

congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

Ditto, ditto to Quankanne's post.

Yes, even some cheapo,cheesy ring would do the trick for popping the question, as long as you will go out and pick a real one together! Lucky girl -- you are romantic AND you care that she gets the ring she wants. Better yet: She'll be marrying a guy who is not afraid to ask for advice!

Good luck. And please let us know how it goes!!

jessicakicksbut

This may be tacky, but maybe you want to propose to her in front on a diamond store/jeweler, then take her inside to start looking for the ring she wants.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't sound like you need any advice. Propose with a cheap ring and let her pick out the real one later.....that's brilliant! Maybe the cheap ring could be her birthstone.