The Engagement Ring

Hi..

This is my first time visiting this website. At first, I thought that I would quickly browse through the topics and leave but as you can see, I registered and I already have a few questions. Here is my situation:

I am a recent college graduate in Electrical/Computer Engineering. I begin work on the 9th of June and after that, majority of my financial problems will fade away. I have known my fiancee for 4 years although we have only been a couple since October 2002 but I finally won her heart. She will graduate in December of 2002 and is currently applying to jobs in the same city as me. I told her that she can live with me until she finds a job/career. Anyways, I proposed to her and she accepted. Then I told her that it was more of a promise proposal because I am very traditional and I when I propose to her, I want to be able to get on one knee and ask her to be my wife, and then put a ring on her finger. We agreed not to tell anyone other than our siblings and close close friends. When I originally asked her to marry me, I could not afford a ring that I considered worthy of her wearing. I've been going to several different ring shops looking mainly pricing rings. I know that she likes the princess cut platinum solitaire and has a size 6 finger. With this in mind, the only real confusion is what is a good size diamond for my queen? I have no concept of what normal married couple's engagement rings look like, but I an leaning towards a 1.25 carat diamond. Is this a good choice? Please help me.

Thanks

If your lady cares that much, don't marry her. A woman who loves you will be happy with whatever you get for her ring finger...within reason.

A 1.25 carat ring is a great choice and she should be very happy with that. But understand there is a lot more to diamonds than just weight. You've got shape, proportions, finish, clarity, color, etc., to consider. You can bet most women will run out to a jeweler after they get their ring and find out the details...but they will never tell. This is an instinct thing and they will still love you if you got it out of a box of Cracker Jacks.

You can get your ring for as little as $500 for a diamond with many imperfections to $10,000 or more for a perfect one...if they exist.

Shop around, get to know what you're doing, and go with something you can afford, remembering that this will be something she will wear for the rest of her life.

Whatever you do, don't get some stupid, odd shaped...like a heart shaped diamond (they are pretty worthless and goofy looking).

After you've been to several jewelry stores, you'll know what you're looking for and you'll know just how much money you'll need to get her something nice without going over budget.

you may also want to take into consideration the shape and size of her hands before predetermining what size stone you get. Some just look better than others on a woman's hands, it's kind of like trying on clothes. You want items you pick out to flatter you.

gee Tony, I've never taken a piece of jewelry to have it examined, that would be just so rude, but both my sisters are notorious for doing just that!

• Author

Tony: If your lady cares that much, don't marry her. A woman who loves you will be happy with whatever you get for her ring finger...within reason.

She doesn't matter what I get her.. she only asked that it is white gold or platinum, if possible a solitaire. But I however am very picky and would like to get her the best ring that I can afford. We went to a jeweler when I was still in school just because we were at the mall together and I noticed that she had a lot of good comments about a particular princess cut solitaire ring. I know about the four C's and how much they affect the quality and cost of a diamond. I'm looking at VS1-2 clarity, with a G/H color.. maybe better.. I'm not sure, I want it to be near colorless with as few flaw as possible but with a good cut too. I've done my research so it's not like I'm uninformed about diamonds and what I can afford. As far as the odd shaped diamonds go.. I think those make great gifts but are not good for engagement rings.

blue_eyed_girl

Don't spend all your time worrying about the ring. Worry about making your proposal something memorable. You want her to think about it and feel all warm and fuzzy every time she looks at that ring. That's what she will see... the moment you gave it to her, not the ring.

• 3 weeks later...

Why don't you propose with a fake ring and then go shopping together for a real one later?

Sometimes a simple, cheap ring is better for a particular person than an oversized tacky, expensive one.

This is kinda off subject, but you mentioned at the beginning that you are a newly hired electrical/computer engineer? I am a recent microelectronic engineering graduate who can't find work. Is your company still hiring?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

To Marie3332:

I am not sure whether or not my company is hiring. I would say send me your resume and I'll forward it to my friend in HR but they have changed the system around and everything is done through the internet now. I work for Boeing so you can go to their website and it should list the job openings and create a career profile. I know that earlier this year IBM in New York was hiring for Semi-Conductor fabrication. Also Honda Manufacturing in Alabama was hiring as of 2 weeks ago. And there is another place, an air force base, I'll have to get their name but they were hiring engineers as of 2 weeks ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Good day FyrXscape,

Sometimes the little things are what matters. My husband and I shopped for my engagement ring and wedding band together. We found our set with the help of a wonderful employee. Just my personal opinion, but the size and weight doesn’t matter. A perfect diamond, which could not ever exist would be flawless and boring. The flaws, in my view are what make the diamond it self beautiful. Are we as people not flawed, and bearing those flaws, beautiful and interesting in our own ways?

Be bold, your Queen will love what you give her, one karat or no. My engagement is personally special to me because my husband gave it to me, its a puzzle ring weighing in at less then1 karat. If you would like to see a picture of it, I would be more then happy to email you one:)

Find a ring that reminds you of her:) Chris and I choice a puzzle ring because that is what I am, and so much more.

I wish you good luck and fortune on your ring hunting and your wedding to come!

Onyx