rude to bring up subject of rings to boyfriend?

IlluminatedShadows

IlluminatedShadows

This is a little weird for me to ask, but its not something I want to ask my friends...

Is it rude to bring up the subject of engagment rings with your boyfriend?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 7 years, but we are only 23, so are in no rush to get married.

The thing is, I am NOT a jewlry person. Over our relationship he has gotten me a necklace, which I wear often, and a pair of earings which I wear sometimes (more due to my ears ALWAYS re-close, grrrr). I want him to know that I wouldnt want him to spend a lot of money, and I would want something small and simple, especially if I want to try to wear it every day.

The reason I ask is because we are going through some issues, where we went from living with each other for a few years to living a few hours apart, and only seeing each other on weekends. I am considering moving cross country, and I think there is a chance he might want to propose, to show he is really, truly wants me and only me.

We had gone on a backpacking trip to Europe together, and when we came home my sister had said "omg, you didnt PROPOSE? when you were in Europe, TOGETHER??? That would have been the PERFECT place" and his response had been "huh,I didnt even think of that. yeah, that would have been perfect", leading me to belive maybe he would have if he had thought of it?

I just dont want to seem pushy and rude, but dont want a ring that costs thousands of dollars or anything. He should know that about me, but he does get a little carried away/ excited when he is buying things, hehe. What can I say, my man likes to shop! (although mostly for gadgets and outdoor gear, haha)

Anyways, please let me know if it would be rude for me to mention this!!!!

Thanks

JustLooking123

Have you guys actually even talked about marriage or engagement? That might be the first step before bringing rings into it...

• Author
IlluminatedShadows
Have you guys actually even talked about marriage or engagement? That might be the first step before bringing rings into it...

Yeah, we have talked about getting married, and life once we were married, about what both our goals were, etc, and a little about kids. We have even talked about a wedding, who we would want to invite, how we would do it, etc... But we have never really talked about getting engaged or a ring or anything.

I agree with TBF...kinda. I wouldn't mention engagement ring preferences...unless I was proposing to him.

If you really want to, though, why not just say something like, "Hey Hon, if we ever decide to get married let's shop for all the rings together, okay?"

Cos. Either women get the whole big romantic surprise proposal thing, which includes just accepting whatever bloody ring the guy selects --OR-- we get involved in some major or trivial aspect of the proposal and FORGO the whole big romantic surprise proposal thing. IMO.

I have a little different opinion on the subject.

Let him bring it up. Men usually try to find SOME way to get their lady's taste in jewerly even if it is going to be a surprise. Telling him what kind of ring you want seems a little pushy if he hasn't first asked for the information.

We had gone on a backpacking trip to Europe together, and when we came home my sister had said "omg, you didnt PROPOSE? when you were in Europe, TOGETHER??? That would have been the PERFECT place" and his response had been "huh,I didnt even think of that. yeah, that would have been perfect", leading me to belive maybe he would have if he had thought of it?

Yes, but he DIDNT think of it. If he were thinking of proposing, its not as though it wouldnt have crossed his mind.

Dont bring up the ring or expectations of one. But do bring up more specific conversations about your future together and marriage.