Money Matters?

I only make 14 dollars an hour even though I have my bachelors degree and now going to get my masters. I was wondering if I have any business getting married to someone when I only make 14 a hour and that I am suppose to support them. Please tell me what you think.

Although I have accumlated approx. 100,000 in savings (partly for a house) for when we get married and about another 30,000 for retirement I really question if I only make 14 a hour if I should ask anyone to get married to me. To the woman even though you do not really know me how would you feel in this situation if I were to ask you to marry me.

You need to do the math. Will your wife work as well?

I think you can pull it off if the two of you are frugal and talk it over ahead of time. But it will be tight.

You'll have to figure this one out. A great deal more data would be required for use to come up with a ballpark answer.

If you can save that kind of money making $14 per hour, I'd say you could do pretty well at just about anything. After all, it's not really how much you make....but how much you save and how you handle what you make.

Looks like you're doing a great job.

Aren't you the one who comes by here once in a while asking questions about telling ladies how much money you have?

I think you're right, Tony. Sounds like the same guy who's been coming here off and on, pretty much preoccupied by the amount of money he has saved up over the years, the fact that he's still a virgin, all worried about whether he should get a prenuptual agreement should he ever find a gal to marry (to protect his thousands). It's sort of weird, really.

I have to ask.....why would a guy who's got $130,000 in savings/investments be worrying so darn much about money and whether he can support a wife on a $14 an hour job. Regardless of his wealth, there's no rule saying a guy has to totally financially support his wife...no reason why she can't work too.

Maybe I'll go back and find his post from before (few weeks ago?), the one about the prenuptual agreement...be curious to see what his reply was there.

maybe because he's been so good about saving it's now become a kind of fixation? Or because someone has taken advantage of him before, so he wants to be financially secure?

dude, it's only money, and the only thing money is good for is keeping you several steps ahead of the bill collector. If you didn't have it, you'd find a way to survive, just like when you do have it, you find a way to survive.

maybe it's time to stop worrying so much about your nest egg and to start enjoying life.

Pick a "situation" you are in, and stick with it, and please stop changing handles. We all know its the same person. LOL

• 1 month later...

Hey now, where I live that's good money! :)

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh out loud when I heard your post. I'm a huge believer in love as a reason for marriage. I've never dated a man with even the idea of what he makes in mind. Maybe that's why I'm struggling right now. Honestly, though, I am in a loving, committed relationship with a man who does not make as much money as you do, and I'm crazy about him. I have the hope that we can both work, get married, and then work together to get through this life. Hopeless romantic? There are still some of us out there!

if i met a guy who was so preoccupied with money that he thought about losing cash from a divorce before even losing his virginity, i'd RUN! ... and to you, i advise some counselling - or perhaps talk to a friend whose priorities are more "traditional".

-yes

HokeyReligions

When I was in college I worked at one of those survey places in the mall. Part of the questionnaire for each survey was to get the demographics and that included salary.

While I never got an exact salary, I knew the boundaries (less than $10k/yr; $10k - $20k/yr; etc.)

I dated several of the guys I interviewed (it was great being able to ask all those questions!) I never even thought of money as criteria.

Now, many years later, my husband is disabled - hasn't worked in years, we have no savings due mainly to high medical bills, and I'm the only support for my family. It doesn't make a bit of difference to us -- it's ALL OUR money, and we simply accept what we have and live within our means. We did that back when I made a lot less than I do now too.

BTW: That is how I met my husband. I interviewed him about answering machines for a survey conducted by Panasonic. We met after work and sat for hours and hours in a Denny's - just talking. :D