Lord of the Rings

I plan on proposing and was just wondering how much to spend on the ring and what women in general like as far as the ring goes? Really would like your comments especially from the women out there. Thanks

Every woman is different, hence all the different styles of rings out there. You are best off finding out from your girlfriend what type she would like. If you want to surprise her completely, you can do a couple of things:

1. Take note of the jewelry she already owns. Is it silver or gold? Is it plain or fancy? Does she go for more gaudy stuff, or less? What is her personal style? This can lead you toward the right kind of ring for her.

2. Take two of her best girlfriends (who know her very well) with you ring shopping and have them help you pick out the right ring for her. They will be thrilled to do this, and will probably have great input for you.

But, if you do this without your girlfriend's input, be prepared that she may not like the ring. (And she will feel bad about it.) I think you are better off finding out up front what kind of ring she would like, but then again, surprises are nice too, if you feel you know her well enough to pick out something that is her style and taste.

As far as how much? De Beers says two months' salary, but I don't know if that's the norm. Spend what you feel comfortable spending to get the right ring. You don't have to go nuts as long as you find her a nice ring.

Congratulations. It's really sweet how you are spending energy to find the right thing.

My sweetheart didn't propose with a ring at all because he's not a good shopper. It wasn't as romantic that way, but it did give me a chance to pick out my own ring.

Remember that a ring needs to be appropriate for what she likes now, but it's also needs to be right for her future self. For example, I wear a lot of silver jewelry now, but only because that's what people have given me as gifts. I really prefer yellow gold! So if my honey would have made a decision based on what I wear now, he would have had the wrong idea.

Diamonds are the expensive part. Settings are usually a couple hundered bucks. One thing you could do is to buy a diamond in your price range, and have it set in a temporary band that can be exhanged for a setting she picks out. Most jewelers offer that.

As far as price goes, that 2 month salary thing is a marketing scam. We bought my rings at the wholesale jewelry mart, because I have a resale license. We paid $3600 (including tax.) The diamond was $2700 of that, a .82 carat VS1, G, princess cut. My fincee earns about $360k a year, if that matters to you. Spend what you can afford. You can always upgrade to a bigger stone or add an anniversary band later.

Good luck!

ThisGirlNameKD

Wild Soul took the words out of my mouth. I think she would be so happy that you propose than what kind of ring you got. After all, that's more important than the ring. Now that's not to say you should buy her just anything. But get what you can comfortably afford, and you can always upgrade later. Because if you want to get married, you'll have other duckets to spend on that wedding.

WildSoul, no offense but I was a little shocked to read that your fiance makes $360,000 a year and he bought your rings at a wholesale jewelry mart for $3600. Surely a guy that wealthy could afford a 1 carat diamond, better than VS1, color better than G??! Is he a cheapskate? And this is the guy who's wanting the prenup agreement, and he's already been divorced twice? Yikes.

HokeyReligions

and its not necessarily what people look at most. If she is very small with tiny hands, a gigantic setting and stone might not look as nice on her, or be as comfortable.

To me, the setting is the most important part. I like unusual settings and a couple of years ago I had my wedding ring re-set in a setting I ordered off the internet then went to a local wholesale diamond/gemstone dealer to select the side stones and have my new ring set -- which I paid for because my tastes have changed and I wanted something a little different.

Wild Soul: I don't think your guy is necessarily a cheapskate because he didn't spend more (compared to his income) on your ring. The cost/size doesn't matter does it. It's the feeling and love behind it. After all, a ring - any ring - is a symbol of love and commitment, not of status.