Palladium or Platinum for a ring

So I'm planning on getting engaged soon, and I'm in full blown "Ring Shopping" mode.

This will be my 2nd wedding, and hopefully the last!

The first time around, my fiance was a "gold" girl, and so getting her ring was easy.

My present girlfriend is very much not into gold, and she's not into jewelry much either. However, she's allergic to various metals, and so I went into the jewelry store the other day and jumped straight into platinum.

While discussing things with the saleswoman, she introduced me to palladium. I've had the introduction to the metal, I've seen it, I've looked at the statistics for it. To me it is almost indistinguishable from platinum, just slightly whiter.

My girlfriend is not very concerned with material things. I know she'll be thrilled which whatever ring I get her.

However, I also know how women are. I don't want my girlfriend to show off her new ring, and to have friends/family criticize the ring for being made of Palladium instead of Platinum.

So, I'd like to hear from women and guys who have experience with this. Is there a stigma associated with Palladium? Will I be viewed as being "cheap" by buying it? Will the ring be viewed as having less quality? Are women out there happy with their Palladium rings? Would you not go near Palladium with a 10 foot pole?

To me, it's appealing because it's slightly lighter, brighter in color, and less expensive. Any money I save on the setting will likely go towards buying a larger stone.

Opinions?

Thanks!

My girlfriend is not very concerned with material things. I know she'll be thrilled which whatever ring I get her.
Excellent. Then don't bother with a ring (yes, really). Take the money you would have spent on the ring and put it towards the family home.

I did a 'wiki' on palladium. It is sounding a bit like the metal equivalent of industrial diamonds, seeing as it (palladium) is used in manufacturing catalytic converters and electronics.

I think maybe get your girlfriend involved in the decision. I don't consider myself too materialistic -- for my engagement ring, we were the high bidders at an auction. But I'm not feeling too attracted to "palladium" for an engagement and/or wedding ring.

I wouldn't suggest a unilateral "you won't be getting an engagement ring" decision...to me that could just be asking for trouble.

Good luck with your proposal :love:

Trialbyfire

Why not buy her a small piece of jewelry, in palladium, since it's inexpensive? This can be the starting point to get her attitudes towards the metal, in an engagement ring.

• Author

I'm not so much worried about her reaction as her friend(s) and sister.

So far from the lukewarm reactions I've gotten here it seems most people are of the "Palladium? What's that"? type.

I'm not so much worried about her reaction as her friend(s) and sister.

So far from the lukewarm reactions I've gotten here it seems most people are of the "Palladium? What's that"? type.

Whilst I agree that Palladium is a nicer metal (prefer its whiter hues) I think you have hit the nail on the head, most people haven't heard of it but have heard of Platinum, and the associations with Platinum are that it is expensive, so she will feel much more confident wearing it.

Personally I prefer Silver but no-one else values that much these days, shame, it has a lovely dusty white hue when pure, ho-hum.

Stick to Platinum if she doesn't like gold.;)

Trialbyfire

Palladium is trading at a little less than 25% of gold prices and around 20% of platinum prices.

It belongs in the platinum family but has a lower melting point, than platinum.

In 2001, palladium traded above platinum prices due to problems in Russia, a major supplier of palladium. Ford motor company stockpiled over concern for delayed car production, thus lost around $1 billion, from buying at market high.

Is that enough information? ;)

Palladium is trading at a little less than 25% of gold prices and around 20% of platinum prices.

It belongs in the platinum family but has a lower melting point, than platinum.

In 2001, palladium traded above platinum prices due to problems in Russia, a major supplier of palladium. Ford motor company stockpiled over concern for delayed car production, thus lost around $1 billion, from buying at market high.

Is that enough information? ;)

Any fool can google, I think the OP was after personal opinions ;)

Trialbyfire
Any fool can google, I think the OP was after personal opinions ;)
The OP mentioned that people don't know what palladium is. I beg to differ. :p

Knowing what the substance is, as well as seeing it, doesn't necessarily generate enthusiasm for it.

THE only person's opinion that matters, is his fiancee's. If she loves it, she'll wear it with pride, regardless of anyone else.

My honest advice to the OP, is not to give a crap about anyone else's opinion, like the sister, etc.! :)

THE only person's opinion that matters, is his fiancee's. If she loves it, she'll wear it with pride, regardless of anyone else.

My honest advice to the OP, is not to give a crap about anyone else's opinion, like the sister, etc.! :)

My advice, ignore this advice. If your fiance shows the ring to her friends an they all say 'what the f**k is palladium' it will have an effect. Other people's opinion does matter, and will matter to your fiance.

Trialbyfire
My advice, ignore this advice. If your fiance shows the ring to her friends an they all say 'what the f**k is palladium' it will have an effect. Other people's opinion does matter, and will matter to your fiance.
And my advice is as normal, to ignore wuggle's advice. Not everyone is as material. :bunny:
And my advice is as normal, to ignore wuggle's advice. Not everyone is as material. :bunny:

Sorry, I have just sh*t myself in disbelief. TBF calling me materialistic

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Trialbyfire

That's true wuggle. You're less about materialistic and more about being way too concerned about what everyone else thinks about you. :p:laugh:

That's true wuggle. You're less about materialistic and more about being way too concerned about what everyone else thinks about you. :p:laugh:

Oh TBF, relax, one day you will find your true self and not have to seek external validation from the argumentative nature of other 'lesser' and 'cheaper' posters who attempt unsucessfully to challenge your fictitional worldview whilst being stuck in a mildly destructive co-dependant relationship.

Is that enough b*llsh*t for tonight or should we carry on ??

Trialbyfire
Oh TBF, relax, one day you will find your true self and not have to seek external validation from the argumentative nature of other 'lesser' and 'cheaper' posters who attempt unsucessfully to challenge your fictitional worldview whilst being stuck in a mildly destructive co-dependant relationship.

Is that enough b*llsh*t for tonight or should we carry on ??

wuggle, you're such a piece of work, deliberately baiting and agitating, then pulling back and playing the useless victim. :rolleyes:

wuggle, you're such a piece of work, deliberately baiting and agitating, then pulling back and playing the useless victim. :rolleyes:

Ain't Nothing useless about me hunny-buns :cool:

I believe that palladium is not currently hallmarked, but there are plans afoot to make it compulsory to hallmark palladium jewellery starting next year, at which point the price will undoubtedly shoot up.

Palladium is usually thought of as the "poor man's platinum", and I have to admit the word "cheap" would float around in my mind if a female friend showed me her palladium engagement ring. This perception may change in the coming years once palladium is hallmarked and increases in price.

Tesla - honestly, I don't think many women will look at and question the metal.

Palladium makes a lovely ring, and it sounds like you and your fiancee are on the same page as far as where to spend your joint finances and her lack of materialism.

Plus, it's really the diamond that matters, more than the setting.

I vote get the palladium. You will love it, she will love it, and her friends won't know the difference.

Congrats, btw. :)

No offense but I disagree, as usual, sweet-cheeks. ;)

Chill, It's not tag-team time , you're just so funny with your totally fixed black & white, I'm right the rest of the world is wrong attitude , it's so funny it has to be challenged, besides we've just come back in after a nice night out and wanted a 5 minute laugh before we go off to bed , night night. :):)

Trialbyfire
Chill, It's not tag-team time , you're just so funny with your totally fixed black & white, I'm right the rest of the world is wrong attitude , it's so funny it has to be challenged, besides we've just come back in after a nice night out and wanted a 5 minute laugh before we go off to bed , night night. :):)
Right, wuggle. You're so full of it, as usual. Good night. I sincerely wonder if your marriage is like one big fight. It must be crazy-making! :laugh:
  • Author

Thanks for your help guys. I think it's likely I'll go with Platinum unless I really fall in love with a tremendously expensive setting that will put me way over budget in Platinum. Then I may consider Palladium.

Still interested in hearing any opinions of women with Palladium rings.

Just wanted to point out one thing.

If you find a great stone ( a real one , doesnt have to be a diamond but it should be real)...a great stone should be in a strong and secure setting. They DO get loose, and they do get lost.

The metals are generally so much less expensive than the stones. Dont try to save a few bucks on a less secure metal for your stone. Has Palladium been used in jewelry long enough to know for certain it will last and be strong for decades?

GorillaTheater
Has Palladium been used in jewelry long enough to know for certain it will last and be strong for decades?

I'm no jeweler, but I did start out my college career as a geology major. Palladium is a "platinum group metal", and closely enough related to platinum that I'd imagine the two would have similar durability.

Trust me.. Get her a cheap ring and you will find out something different.. :laugh:

While she may not be materialistic I'm sure she wants to wear a beautiful ring that says how much you love her..

Don't go cheap for the sake of going cheap.. She would see thru that..

Platinum baby. that is what my wife wears :)