Is deleting a message on WhatsApp the right thing to do?

Hi, it strikes me a bit as odd when a friend etc deletes a message he has sent to me via WhatsApp - no matter whether I have read the text or not. We're not supposed to always be super smart/ reasonable when communicating with friends, right? I don't have such expectations toward others myself.

So, is it best to ask them why they delete the text, saying that I find it a bit strange, or let it go as something [really] ok?

Thanks..

It's hard to say without context. Who is this friend to you? Is there anything clandestine about your friendship? Eg, one of you is married?

Of the messages which you have seen before they deleted them, were they potentially embarrassing or incriminating? Or were they offers where they've changed their mind.

• Like 1
  • Author
It's hard to say without context. Who is this friend to you? Is there anything clandestine about your friendship? Eg, one of you is married?

Of the messages which you have seen before they deleted them, were they potentially embarrassing or incriminating? Or were they offers where they've changed their mind.

Thanks for the response. There's this guy who lives in another country. We're both single and somehow trying if it works out.

Last night he sent me a beautiful pic of a city where he's transferred to serve for a year, and the next line was deleted. I jokingly asked him if he had wanted to say the city was ugly.. He replies later that it was a slip of the keyboard. He's done this action 2 or 3 times earlier. I made no mention, but found it odd. Am I missing something here?

P.S. I have read none of these messages appearing to me deleted.

Edited by Fleiss
Addition
d0nnivain

If your name is similar to somebody else on his friend's list, it may not have been a message for you.

My name is D0nnivain. One of my friends is a lawyer. His secretary's name is Donna. For years he inadvertently sent me confidential messages about clients that were meant for her, not me. I learned to recognize them by the time of the email & would forward them to Donna without opening them.

• Author
If your name is similar to somebody else on his friend's list, it may not have been a message for you.

My name is D0nnivain. One of my friends is a lawyer. His secretary's name is Donna. For years he inadvertently sent me confidential messages about clients that were meant for her, not me. I learned to recognize them by the time of the email & would forward them to Donna without opening them.

That could also happen..

He is obviously a self conscious chap, worried will you like his texts, doubting himself and then deleting them etc,

He likes you and wants his wording to be perfect

who knows, when you get more comfortable with each other,

perhaps there is potential!

• Like 1

Hi OP,

You mentioned that you're both aware that you're feeling eachother out as potential partners. It means, you're both invested and do have feelings to some degree. Also, doing things via instant messaging means neither of you have access to facial expressions, vocal inflections and other forms of body language that are a large part of communication so it can be very difficult to read eachother. Putting all this together, if you don't know eachother well yet, it can trigger overthinking and self-consciousness. It's good to be aware of that.

His deleting his texts just means he's worried about saying the right or wrong things.

- Beach

Edited by Beachead
  • Like 1