When a guy friend teases you (in a nice way)

newyorker3475

When a guy friend constantly teases you (jokingly) and gives you nicknames but not other women you are around, could it mean he is flirting? He is a really nice guy and he used to be really shy around me but now he is constantly joking with me and gently giving me a hard time to make me laugh or get a reaction. He has never said anything giving away he could be interested, he just teases me a lot and makes great eye contact. Because of that, I am confused.

• Like 1

He may like you. At least he feels comfortable to be friends with you. You can't be certain. I mean, I've had guys tease me at work who were more like brothers to me. I guess if he's shy, he'll never get around to just asking you out. He might invite you to a "just friends" thing with other people or whatever and then you still won't know. I would say if you think you like him, just flirt with him. Touch him on the arm or something like that. Touch him somewhere while you're talking or laughing.

todreaminblue

treating you differently to other women is a sign or i would take it as a sign he has interest.....thats about it...i dont know what type of interest....personally i am sensitive to being singled out and teased...i have ptsd around this and i wouldnt necessarily take it as a good sign unless i felt warmth from the guy...but you arent me....how does the teasing make you feel? can you tell me some of the nicknames....there were these guys at high school who would follow me around calling me hey egg baby or if they saw me downtown..they would cat call hey egg how ya doin..that wasnt meant as a kind nickname they said i looked like an egg....and i should scramble.....no one likes me around..blah blah./....blah....i noticed however they never said it with my parents around or my teachers or my friends just when i was by myself...and when i lost the egg shape and got killer curves....they shut up.....

what are the nicknames and are they said with affection and warmth......deb

When a guy friend constantly teases you (jokingly) and gives you nicknames but not other women you are around, could it mean he is flirting? He is a really nice guy and he used to be really shy around me but now he is constantly joking with me and gently giving me a hard time to make me laugh or get a reaction. He has never said anything giving away he could be interested, he just teases me a lot and makes great eye contact. Because of that, I am confused.

Hi newyorker3475,

What it should tell you is he's comfortable and that's a good thing.

But before getting carried away, ask yourself do you like him? Do you want a relationship with him? If so, then ask him if he wants to hang out. Do something fun like mini golf, axe throwing, archery. This way you can talk about the activity and use it as a buffer incase you encounter awkward silences from shyness. Once that warms you two up, conversation will be easier and therefore you can go for dessert and actually talk face to face without much worry. This will allow you two to break the ice, have a little fun and get to know eachother a little more.

Asking him to hang out cuts through the bs and gets right down to it. If he declines an outing with you with no attempt to reschedule, you automatically know he's not interested. Yes, it'll hurt a little but you'll get over it and you won't have to spend anymore time wondering if he's interested or not. You can then move forward in your life and give your attention to someone who is. But if you sit there trying to study his behaviour, you'll create stories in your head based on your personal perception of things about what's going on between you two, from only speculation and assumptions. You won't know for sure and that uncertainty will drive you insane. When I was new to the scene, I fell victim to this and it did lead me to obsessive behaviours to the point where it affected me everyday. I ended up asking them out, out of the frustration of not having any real answers, but years later..and got my heart broken. It hurt far worse simply because I had built this picture in my head of us being together and got used to the fantasy.

With enough failure and stress from that, you come to realize, the best approach is direct. You don't have tell them how you feel..you just ask them if they want to hang out. If they already enjoy your company or want to get to know you, they'll say yes. If they end up liking the outing as well as you, you two will get closer from it and another outing will happen. So on so forth. It'll naturally flow into a relationship. People who are interested, will make it easy for you to get close. They'll say yes to plans. If they have to cancel, they'll reschedule with you. They'll make the effort to message you. It'll flow naturally. People who aren't interested by contrast will do the opposite. They'll make it hard for you to get close. They'll bail on plans. They won't message or will rarely start up a conversation. They'll leave you confused and frustrated by what they might be thinking.

It's simple. Intuitive.

Best of luck

- Beach

Edited by Beachead

If he's just a friend then all that is is banter between friends. Guys tend to do that a lot.

It's very hard to tell if he's interested in you romantically, or just as a friend. But either way, he's being friendly so you should ask him to hang out some time and see where it goes!