Sexual tension with a friend

So since I've become single in the last 3 months, it's become clear that there is a friend within our group who maybe has a thing for me, and I think I might be starting to like him too a bit.

As a backstory there was always some underlying sexual tension there, but it was never acted on whilst I was in a serious relationship. Since I've become single though, there's been so many comments, touches and things that have happened between us- usually when we've been drunk at parties or such. A number of mutual friends have commented on the obvious sexual tension between us. We see each other maybe once or twice a week, either with a large group of friends or at the gym. Recently he has been sober at events and has still flirted with me whilst I've been drunk. His behaviour and comments leads me to believe that he may even like me a little. I can't lie and say that I am tempted to give into the sexual tension and see what happens- I don't want a relationship right now but at the very least it'd be fun to date and sleep together.

However, to throw a spanner into the works he is the ex boyfriend (from like 2 years ago) of my friend and roommate. I feel like if something were to happen between us and she found out it'd seriously damage our relationship, or outright end it.

What should I do? Keep denying and repressing the obvious chemistry between us? Give in to the sexual tension? Just avoid all together? Keep playing the game and enjoying the flirtation? Help.

I'm probably a lot older than you but I never got involved with any of my friend's exes no matter how good looking I found them. Even if I felt chemistry I just don't go there because there are just too many men out there than to go with one I know would hurt a friend. Given that this girl was a roommate of yours you must know her well.

As far as his interest; you should wait for him to ask you out then you will know he's interested.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm probably a lot older than you but I never got involved with any of my friend's exes no matter how good looking I found them. Even if I felt chemistry I just don't go there because there are just too many men out there than to go with one I know would hurt a friend. Given that this girl was a roommate of yours you must know her well.

As far as his interest; you should wait for him to ask you out then you will know he's interested.

Yeah thanks for the advice, it's reasonable and what I have been trying to do so far. To be fair, my roommate and him have been broken up for 2 years now, and she has been happily with someone else for well over a year. But I know it'd still be weird.

And to make things even more complicated my roommates don't really like me...(that's another thread) and I don't know if we'll stay friends after we move out. It's complicated!

It all sounds a bit too messy, for various reasons.

I would go find another guy to have a casual/fwb relationship with and leave him alone.