How to arrange a promising meet-up?

justanickname

justanickname

I have a friend. We have known each other for a few years but we have met in person for 3-4 times (chatted more often than meet-up). He used to live in another town, so that was the reason we didn't meet up so often.

For the first time that we met, I already saw we have so much in common, and he had a lot of knowledge and experiences in the fields I have concerned, which made me have a certain interest in him. However, it didn't develop that way. I think he knew I kind of had a feeling for him before, but he didn't act on it. Another thing, for uncertain reasons, I always had an uncomfortable feeling talking with him. Later he moved back to his hometown, which is very far away. We stopped chatting but still are friends on facebook. I think of him sometimes, but just that, no contact, I even stopped following him.

At the end of the year, when I was traveling and I posted a status saying that I am in love with the country, out of the blue, he commented. Well, that was the country he lived for 5 years long ago, so I can understand the reason of commenting, but he surprised me as he rarely comments and most of the time, I have been the one initiates a conversation. Anyway, I checked his facebook and recognized he is in the same town with me and he will stay here at least a while.

I could not resist the desire of seeing him again and catching up, so last week I pinged him: "let's catch up if you are in town". Thus, we had a little talk and agreed to meet on this Saturday. Exact time and location are my choices, as he mentioned "you are local".

I know this is not a date, for sure, and it has been more than a year I haven't seen him in person and about a half year since we last talked. So, I don't know how he has changed and I am curious about why he comes back, etc. However, I keep thinking of where to meet, how to arrange this so both of us feel comfortable enough, and well, I think I still have somewhat interest in him, so the "opportunity" might be opened. I am really bad at this stuff, I would love to hear any advice/ thoughts?

Thanks.

Design something active weather permitting -- go hiking or something. If you have to be indoors try bowling. You want to have an element of physical movement with your interactions so you can cover up awkward silences.