What she texts is not what she says or does

Art Anderson

Generally I hate going to text for conversations. I'm old school and like the phone for personal talks if they can't be in person. And here's an example of why.

We're both mature people at the age we are/could be, grandparents. Our relationship until recently has been random run-ins around town but this last summer we made a point of going for coffees and day trips in the country and out to a dinner/dance restaurant out of town. All very friendly. She's touchy feely enough on these occasions that it's safe to say she has some interest beyond being coffee buddies.

A few times, and more frequently early on, she'd go into eloquent texts about how much she appreciates even knowing me. She goes on about the future, and things we can do together (local trips, motorcycling, dancing). It's all very romantic and written so well it's pretty enviable.

However when I brought up in person a week later how much I enjoyed what she texted, she blew it off as something she did after drinking. That deflated me immensely. But I also in my mind called BS, unless she is a master of flawless grammar and spelling after drinking. It was better than her day to day texts, like something out of a romance novel. Physically she was behaving like maybe she was embarrassed that I brought it up.

This repeated itself a month later, texting about things we can do, how much time we'll have, etc. But this time I didn't react or bring it up, because of the first experience. I've convinced myself not to take her literally so much or count on her to be truthful about her feelings.

Sometimes I think she's insecure about conveying her interest and text lets her get away with it without facing my reaction one way or the other. Other times I think she's just entertaining some fantasy she's not going to follow through on. Personally I'm really focused on her alone and have been for years though we weren't dating then, but I don't think divulging that would be a good thing if she's not being clear.

So give me the bad news folks. LOL.

If she was drinking, that may be why. So if she drinks around you, does she warm up more, or not? Maybe it's when she's really blasted and she is just living in her head and then wishes she hadn't written all that. I don't think it's bad news, unless she's just a real alcoholic. At least she has a romantic soul. But bringing it up probably just embarrasses the crap out of her and makes her feel bad, so don't. Just write back, Awww, that's sweet, or something. Don't make a federal case out of it. Maybe she'll never be demonstrative in person and is just more poetic but will come out a little more with time.