How do I move forward from this?

sparkles_80s

A guy has accused me of wanting him but we're just friends and I feel we aren't compatible anyway. He did this infront of our friends and it was quite awkward but I stayed mature about it. I'm avoiding him right now but I want to somehow move forward from it because it's quite stupid

When you say 'accused', it sounds like he was being confrontational. Was that the case? What I think is really stupid is what he did and the way he did it. Maybe he has a crush on you and was hoping for a reaction from you.

• Like 1

hey, sparkles/80; instead of avoiding him right now, then maybe you need to send a message or speak with him (even better) to make sure that what happened although was embarrassing wont happen again!

you dont have to get all heavy with it, just phone him or whatever and appologise if he got the wrong idea (even though it wasnt your fault) it'll help the situation and get him to clarify that he understands that you dont think he is compatible.

that should be the end of it...if it isnt, then you are entitled to be firmer in leting him know (and his friends if it comes to that sort of thing) that youve spoken to him and there is nothing going on.

if you dont speak to him you are not going to sort this...how many of these situations on the shack are really about people not talking to the people they need to!!!!!!

come on, go for it :), its gonna make you feel much better and maybe if you say it again it might go in this time.

the mature thing is to sort this quickly and you can both move on without the fuss, awkwardness and uncertainty carrying on.

good luck, it sounds as though you did try to handle this ok, some people need a follow up reminder...if he doesnt get it then!!!! you gotta go in tough and make sure he understands lol.

if he is a good guy though and pretty sensitive, then even more talk to him and if you are ok with friendship keep it if you had it before, if you are not that close, i would talk to him anyway if he is a sensitive type, it would be fair to him (and kinder) than just blanking him without giving him a chance to talk, understand and explain (and appologise back to you).

but...if he did go about this in an aggressive way or was trying to show off, then you deffinately need to let him know he acted dumb and you gotta make sure you are not caught up with this situation again if he's drunk or just feeling low or bored as his mind will go straight back to you if you dont make it clear (under that type of "accused" display).

ok, thats my thoughts, good luck. maxi.

• Like 1

Certainly sounds like he was going for the ego boost in a cruel inconsiderate way. I don't think he's a very nice person. Sounds like he'd like to find a woman he could beat up for liking him and was casting out his hook. I wouldn't spend any one-on-one time with him. And since he did that to you in public, I'd shut him down in public in front of the same friends. But that's just me. See, to me, if you go private and tell him not interested, you're sort of keeping a secret for him. He put you on the spot in public, and I think you should tell him in front of those friends or at least one or two of them, I don't know where you got that I was interested in you, but I wanted to clear that up for you, because I don't want you wasting your time.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me but when I read what he said and how he went about it, it made me feel kind of dirty and humiliated, so that's where I think he's not a good guy. Of course I wasn't there. but it's sort of sounded like an attempt to embarrass or humiliate you or put you on the spot. Shoot back.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that you need to talk to him and find out what he feels for you and what his intentions are about you. And tell him what you want.

• Author
Maybe it's just me but when I read what he said and how he went about it, it made me feel kind of dirty and humiliated, so that's where I think he's not a good guy. Of course I wasn't there. but it's sort of sounded like an attempt to embarrass or humiliate you or put you on the spot. Shoot back.

Yep I agree. I cut him off because he tried to get nasty over something minor

• Like 1

Good for you for turning your back on that man! That sucks that he did that to you, but you did well by not putting up with someone who is rude to you.

• 1 month later...