So I was catfished

sparkles_80s

I was catfished for about 6 months but they didn't use photos they just concealed their identity. After repeatedly begging them to reveal themselves the last month we talked, they didn't so I blocked them. It's been 7 weeks and I still miss them and wonder who exactly they are. I have three suspects but that's it. I am also suspicious they've added me on another account to spy so I've started to shut down my social media accounts. They confessed feelings towards me, said they was ugly but seemed to enjoy me not knowing who they were until obviously it backfired. I get tempted to message them demanding they reveal themselves but I know they won't. I also don't understand any of this and we got on so well so I feel like I've lost a 'friend'. However I know deep down this 'friend' could be completely fake & played on my emotions.

If they were ugly, trans or even the same gender as me I would have accepted them. They made it all an issue not me. I told them this aswel. I feel sad about it all & too embarrassed to tell people.

You might have accepted the person IF the person accepted his/herself. Thing is this person is dishonest and concealing things. Leave them blocked and where they can't stalk you and do it again on social media. They could be 76 saying they're in their 20s or female pretending to be male. The person may be in a committed relationship.

There IS no good outcome for this other than to leave them behind. Nothing is acceptable at this point because the person is a liar and secretive.

• Like 1

6 months is a long time. I usually would like to see / know who im talking to straight away. Probably doesn't solve ur situation but I would suggest asking more personal questions earlier on. If they dodge then you know something is up.

• Like 1
  • Author
sparkles_80s

I know I made that mistake. I was stressed and vulnerable at the time and I wasn't taking the situation seriously until a few months in.

The suspect accounts are two guys who are both in relationships and a female who the catfish was 'best friends' with. I've grown tired of guessing and some good news is the suspected account that has been stalking me on other social media has removed me and my friend. So let's hope it's over now, I will never know the truth but at least my accounts are privatised and they're gone from them now.

A big lesson this.

• Like 1

There are some idiot people out there, and lots of people who can't handle the real world but thrive and lie and deceive and have imaginary lives on the internet, the only place they are able to. Take comfort in knowing that most of these type people, you will not encounter in real life as long as you maintain any standards and expect the best from people and accept no less.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
salparadise

Why would you even give the time of day to some character hiding behind a keyboard and refusing to reveal themselves? Nothing good EVER comes from interacting with an anonymous whatever. Report, block, delete. Unless you like being victimized, in which case...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
sparkles_80s
Why would you even give the time of day to some character hiding behind a keyboard and refusing to reveal themselves? Nothing good EVER comes from interacting with an anonymous whatever. Report, block, delete. Unless you like being victimized, in which case...

As I quoted above I was stressed & vulnerable at the time.