Flirty drunken text - just for fun or interested?

Please can you help me interpret my colleague's message? I've only met him once but speak to him/email him about work stuff probably once a week. He added me on Facebook and then sent me just a friendly private message saying hope i had a good day and then one later that week asking me 'how married are you?' The next day I replied in a jokey way and he said sorry and blamed it on being drunk. Since then we speak occasionally on the phone for work purely about work stuff and he's always very friendly but not flirty at all. Why would he send that message? Is he interested or just messing around? I am married so not going to pursue it but trying to figure it out! Thanks.

Honestly, I think he was surprised that a married woman was texting him afterhours and got drunk and commented on it, and probably not in a favorable way. I mean, it's either, You're married so why are you talking to me or You're married, but do you want to cheat with me.

• Author

Thanks for you reply. When he sent me the friendly message I didn't reply until the next day and waited until I was at work and wasn't very friendly back so I wasn't encouraging him in anyway. The other message he sent late at night later in the week and again I didn't reply until the next day.

Are you sure it wasn't just because one of his friends asked him to text you? Or whether it was purely for drunken gossip?

It's just a funny story to talk about at lunch now. Don't read into it.

• Author

Thanks for your replies.

I don't think it would have anything to do with his friends as they wouldn't know who I am.

I agree he seemed to be testing the water but just not sure what he was expecting from it as he obviously knows I'm married.

Another vote for he was testing you. People say "Oh, I was drunk. Don't listen to what I said." I think when people are drunk they are more honest. Even if unintentionally so. So, IMHO, he wants to have a physical affair with you and was "feeling you out." You rebuffed him so he has to go back to the business relationship. He's probably a little embarrassed now.