Ex-FWB blocked me on Facebook

Hey all,

So I made a post about this ongoing fling I had with an older woman I have known for many years. Well, even though the fling ended months ago, we kept in touch all of Summer and even up until now. At first it felt like she was stringing me along, but even though I am half her age, she is a friend that I have known for quite sometime. But I think what happened was she didn't know how to truly end it, nor did part of her want it to end. We kept our FB interaction to a minimum so people that knew us wouldn't question us.

Now, I have always struggle with my weight. In 2014 I finally did something about it, and I have lost 117 lbs since then. Lately I have noticed multiple women that turned me down a few years ago suddenly find me attractive and want me. Even ones that know I am aware they have said nasty and disgusting comments about me to other people. So I made a post on FB about how messed up society is and how classic this behavior can be. Out of nowhere she makes the first comment. She said I was being a little harsh and that people like a balance of looks and personality. I defended my post and explained to her why I feel that way. She ended up making my post go viral and I got over 30 likes and 35 comments. It actually turned into a good discussion. The next day I texted her and asked her what made her decide to comment.

She told me she felt like the post was directed towards her, as well as some of my posts I have recently made. She says me going out for lunch with a female friend was a jab at her because she won't spend time with me anymore. She always brings up this particular girl and has said in the past that we should date because we make a cute couple. She assumes my positive statuses about rising up from dark times were about her, and all my other uplifting posts. Even after me explaining to her about the current post she commented on by telling her the recent incidents that happened to me, she doesn't fully believe me. Her only argument was, "well, in your comment, you said you tried taking them out for coffee or lunch. You tried doing that with me so I figured it was me you were talking about."

I told her once more none of these posts are about her. I told her I am just trying to live my life and enjoy it and do me. I also told her how it's funny during the fling she kept telling me I need to find someone my age and date, and here I am doing that, and suddenly it's an issue. She thinks I am lying about trying to get back into the dating world. Well, we argued about it all week. I told her that I bet if I pulled this stunt on her, she would be pissed and would spaz out. I asked her how would she like it if I attacked her and made a bunch of assumptions about posts she make, and how she would feel. Well, once I said that, she decided to block me and said she didn't want me on FB anymore. We did talk it out, and we are ok, but she said she can't add me back on FB because she can't go another day seeing my posts and having to sit there and pick them apart to figure out if they are about her. I honestly feel like its bull****. I am over here doing me living life and suddenly she has an issue with one status about women checking me out?

I feel like this is bigger than what she claims it is. I also feel like she knows damn well it wasn't about her, but made it about her for her own reasons. I also suspect there's a hidden message behind her actions. We still have each other's phone numbers as well.

Can anyone provide some insight?

I just wonder why you care? Is being blocked from Facebook such an earth shattering event? She sounds a bit narcissistic thinking everything you post is about her. Maybe you should block her too.

• Like 3

So some chick you used to have sex with got pissed off, argued with you on social media, and then blocked you. So what? Who cares? Just move on with your life, do you, and stop worrying about what peripherals think.

• Author

I made a previous post called "FWB is sending me mixed signals." I have known this woman for 11 years and we have always had a thing for each other. We ended up falling into a gray area and it felt like a relationship, and even after it was over, we both had trouble walking away from it. That's why it matters.

• Author
So some chick you used to have sex with got pissed off, argued with you on social media, and then blocked you. So what? Who cares? Just move on with your life, do you, and stop worrying about what peripherals think.

That was basically what I was getting at. If this was just a fling, why does she care so much?

Edited by Ice Man
Typos
  • Author
The bigger question is why do you care that she cares? You cant control her, you can only control yourself. So why do you care?

I care because we fell into a gray area while we had our arrangement going on. We acted like a couple. I do have some feelings for her, but I know she does too and is scared to admit it. If she didn't have feelings, she wouldn't have pulled this stunt. Not to mention she said she doesn't mind if we keep each other's numbers to say hi once in awhile. It just doesn't make sense.

I made a previous post called "FWB is sending me mixed signals." I have known this woman for 11 years and we have always had a thing for each other. We ended up falling into a gray area and it felt like a relationship, and even after it was over, we both had trouble walking away from it. That's why it matters.

Why did you end it? You say that it felt like you fell into a grey area and that it felt like a relationship. You then say that you both had problems walking away. Why aren´t you in a relationship with each other? Why fight it?

To be honest it sounds to me like you both care for each other, and that she gets upset when you communicate with other women. There could be a number of reasons why she is behaving the way she is and pulled away from you, but perhaps the age thing is causing her some concern and insecurity? If you have feelings for someone half your own age, and that person happens to lose a lot of weight and gets lots of attention and added confidence, perhaps she thinks that she doesn´t stand a chance with you?

Having known each other for as long as you have, she has seen the change that has been going on with you, and although it´s all very positive for you, she feels threatened by it. Don´t get me wrong, as she is probably very happy for you and the changes you have gone through! None the less, it´s an adjustment for the both of you.

I happen to know of a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight after being overweight for a long time. (my job) These people have often struggled in their relationships / marriages after weight loss, because there´s a shift in the dynamic for some reason. Weight loss can be a huge boost to someone´s confidence and personality and that can be a big adjustment for their partner, friends and / or family. It´s not that your surroundings aren´t happy for you or support you, but it´s a big deal, because you aren´t the same person you were, physically and mentally. Anyone who says that their personality hasn´t changed in some way after a big change like that, are in most cases not aware of it or lying.

Your friend has known you for 11 years, warts and all. I think she cares a lot about you but she lost her confidence. Perhaps you should look more inwards and ask yourself. "Am I the same person I was 11 years ago?"

Edited by Lostweekend
  • Like 1
  • Author
Why did you end it? You say that it felt like you fell into a grey area and that it felt like a relationship. You then say that you both had problems walking away. Why aren´t you in a relationship with each other? Why fight it?

To be honest it sounds to me like you both care for each other, and that she gets upset when you communicate with other women. There could be a number of reasons why she is behaving the way she is and pulled away from you, but perhaps the age thing is causing her some concern and insecurity? If you have feelings for someone half your own age, and that person happens to lose a lot of weight and gets lots of attention and added confidence, perhaps she thinks that she doesn´t stand a chance with you?

Having known each other for as long as you have, she has seen the change that has been going on with you, and although it´s all very positive for you, she feels threatened by it. Don´t get me wrong, as she is probably very happy for you and the changes you have gone through! None the less, it´s an adjustment for the both of you.

I happen to know of a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight after being overweight for a long time. (my job) These people have often struggled in their relationships / marriages after weight loss, because there´s a shift in the dynamic for some reason. Weight loss can be a huge boost to someone´s confidence and personality and that can be a big adjustment for their partner, friends and / or family. It´s not that your surroundings aren´t happy for you or support you, but it´s a big deal, because you aren´t the same person you were, physically and mentally. Anyone who says that their personality hasn´t changed in some way after a big change like that, are in most cases not aware of it or lying.

Your friend has known you for 11 years, warts and all. I think she cares a lot about you but she lost her confidence. Perhaps you should look more inwards and ask yourself. "Am I the same person I was 11 years ago?"

Wow, I love your response! She told me we can't continue this because she didn't see the point in continuing a sexual relationship if it can't be serious. She said we can't be together due to the age difference. Also because I know who her daughter is. I'm not her friend, but I guess it bugs her. I also had a feeling the real issue at hand was because she has it in her mind that I can easily choose whoever I want. I could also go back to every girl that turned me down if I really wanted to as well. Even though I won't, she must feel that way.

I truly think she wants me but is scared. I can understand her fears but I have told her I would love to have a relationship with her. We fell into a gray area because she said we didn't need to worry about boundaries and labels. She said we have too much history and are too custom for that. So it felt like a relationship because of that. People keep telling me she most likely will contact me in a month or so.

Edited by Ice Man
Forgot to add something.
  • Author

So I'm an IT Pro, and I've decided to start a computer repair business on the side. While calling people in my phone to spread the word, I called her by mistake. I quickly hung up; I get a text a half hour later. She texted me saying hi and asked what I wanted, so I decided to just tell her about the business. She said she would spread the word to her friends and family. She told me how she's been having issues with her printer, so I said I would be more than happy to take a look.

Next thing you know, we are casually talking about what we have been up to, and she even brought up how she's been stepping her game up in terms of eating healthier as well. We texted back and forth for about a half hour. So I guess things are ok? It's just weird because it's like we never even fought.

• Author
So you accidentally called her.:lmao::laugh:

Lmao I swear man! That's what I get for having a few people with the same name in my phone and not categorizing them better,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So two Sundays ago we talked like we never fought. This past weekend however, she never respond to me.

Edited by Ice Man
Typo
That was basically what I was getting at. If this was just a fling, why does she care so much?

You're making a mistake in expecting humans and their emotions to always be rational and explainable. People can and do act irrationally and inexplicably at times. There truly is no explanation for this kind of thing which will make sense to those trying to understand.

• Author
Why were you trying to contact her?

I wasn't. Have two contacts in my phone with same name and it grouped their numbers together. Was calling tje otjer to let her know about mt side business, and it dialed her number instead. Ungrouped them now and added the first initial of last name to avoid that in the future.

• Author
If she has blocked you you should delete her number.

She didn't block me, but she hasn't replied to anything after that weekend where we talked like nothing happened, so I'm just leaving it be.

I had a similar affair with an ex FWB. We met about 5 years ago but kept coming back together for a bit, always falling into the gray area. I liked her a lot and I think she liked me back. In the end, both of us were very immature about it, and both got personal issues, which I think it was your issues as well. The cycle ended this year, when I learned that she blocked me on social media.

Let me try to extrapolate the conclusions I drew from my experience to your case, and tell me if they fit a bit.

If she stopped talking about you or blocked you in any way I guess she just wants a symbolic way to close the cycle. In these times, people talk less and less with each other so these kind of moves are valid. It doesn't mean that you are actually her "life-obsession", but she just wants it to stop. It's respectable and you shouldn't go calling her "by accident". If there are feelings involved in her blocking you, you should respect that.

She won't deny contact with you. As I said, you are not that important to her. In these "gray situtation" affairs people in the end, I believe, just want uncertainty to go away. If that means blocking that dude or gal you haven't talked in months, then so be it.

• Author
I had a similar affair with an ex FWB. We met about 5 years ago but kept coming back together for a bit, always falling into the gray area. I liked her a lot and I think she liked me back. In the end, both of us were very immature about it, and both got personal issues, which I think it was your issues as well. The cycle ended this year, when I learned that she blocked me on social media.

Let me try to extrapolate the conclusions I drew from my experience to your case, and tell me if they fit a bit.

If she stopped talking about you or blocked you in any way I guess she just wants a symbolic way to close the cycle. In these times, people talk less and less with each other so these kind of moves are valid. It doesn't mean that you are actually her "life-obsession", but she just wants it to stop. It's respectable and you shouldn't go calling her "by accident". If there are feelings involved in her blocking you, you should respect that.

She won't deny contact with you. As I said, you are not that important to her. In these "gray situtation" affairs people in the end, I believe, just want uncertainty to go away. If that means blocking that dude or gal you haven't talked in months, then so be it.

Hmm, seems a bit like my situation. She blocked me because I used a few of her statuses as an example. She took it as I assumed she was saying stuff about me too. But she said the main reason why she blocked me is because she claims she can't go another day seeing one of my statuses and having to pick them apart so she can figure out if they are about her. Sounds a bit self-absorbed to me. Yet a week later we talked like nothing happened.

Every time we have fought this happens. Last weekend, she ignored me, so I have left it be. Maybe she is trying to break the cycle. But based on everything that has happened, I truly believe she developed some serious feelings and just can't admit it. I developed some feelings myself, but I have accepted them; just haven't told her. I know I am not important to her like that, but there's something she's hiding.

My friends all say she will contact me when she's lonely and horny as well.

• Author

So she and I talked yesterday. It was going well, until I apparently said something that, "rubbed her the wrong way." She told me she was going to block my number now.

This was while I was at work, so by the time I saw her text saying she was going to block my number, two hours had passed. Yet I called her number, and it rang and went to voicemail like a normal call.

Me being in IT, I know all the signs when someone blocks a number. Was she just making empty threats?

Did you fix her paper jam in her printer yet? IT Pro! LOL Well you found a way back into her heart. Go for it.! I use to repair printers (Lasers) for many years. Funny I ended up with DELL LED Array. Anyway talk shop another day. Good luck!

healing light

This is a very obvious situation to me.

You guys have feelings for each other. She can't stand being your friend on facebook not because she's narcissistic or self-absorbed, but because it gives her anxiety since she is likely in love with you but feels you can't be together. So it threatens her security and makes her jealous when she sees the possibility of you being with other women, she obsesses over the statuses. She has no peace of mind being your fb friend since she does not have platonic feelings for you.

So you now have this push-pull dynamic since you guys are into each other but there are obviously circumstantial barriers preventing one or the other of you from being together. Namely, the age problem.

What do you want from this situation? If you want a relationship, you need to come out and say it since you are the one that will likely be sacrificing in her eyes (since she is older and you would have more opportunities/presumably more to lose by being with her).

She obviously can't really let you go (loves you) but also doesn't have the security of being fully in your life in the way she would prefer to be. So it eats away at her and she has this back-and-forth dynamic.

Anyway, I am drawing from my own experience since I've had a complicated emotional affair with a man that spanned many years and was just a total heartache for me. I would also defriend him periodically to protect myself (he hated that). I was sure I wanted more, though; he was the one who was a fence sitter when it came to me. Didn't want to commit to me but didn't want anyone else to have me, either. I would bet dollars to donuts that the dynamic here is very similar despite what she says. I think you guys either need to fully let each other go or you need to step up and make it official. Anything less is likely torture for her, hence why she pours through your statuses and gives them meaning you didn't intend.

• Author
This is a very obvious situation to me.

You guys have feelings for each other. She can't stand being your friend on facebook not because she's narcissistic or self-absorbed, but because it gives her anxiety since she is likely in love with you but feels you can't be together. So it threatens her security and makes her jealous when she sees the possibility of you being with other women, she obsesses over the statuses. She has no peace of mind being your fb friend since she does not have platonic feelings for you.

So you now have this push-pull dynamic since you guys are into each other but there are obviously circumstantial barriers preventing one or the other of you from being together. Namely, the age problem.

What do you want from this situation? If you want a relationship, you need to come out and say it since you are the one that will likely be sacrificing in her eyes (since she is older and you would have more opportunities/presumably more to lose by being with her).

She obviously can't really let you go (loves you) but also doesn't have the security of being fully in your life in the way she would prefer to be. So it eats away at her and she has this back-and-forth dynamic.

Anyway, I am drawing from my own experience since I've had a complicated emotional affair with a man that spanned many years and was just a total heartache for me. I would also defriend him periodically to protect myself (he hated that). I was sure I wanted more, though; he was the one who was a fence sitter when it came to me. Didn't want to commit to me but didn't want anyone else to have me, either. I would bet dollars to donuts that the dynamic here is very similar despite what she says. I think you guys either need to fully let each other go or you need to step up and make it official. Anything less is likely torture for her, hence why she pours through your statuses and gives them meaning you didn't intend.

Yes, you are absolutely right. My cousin said the same exact thing to me last night on the phone as well. I do have feelings for her, and I care for her. I would love to have a relationship with her. So is this why when she got mad at me the other day and said she was going to block my number she didn't? I called her two hours after she said that and it rang and went to voicemail normally. My cousin said she lashed out like that because she needed to take her anger out on someone and to "punish" me.

Should I just tell her how I feel, even if she doesn't want a relationship? I always had a feeling it was why she didn't want to continue the fling we had anymore. She said she didn't see the point in continuing a sexual relationship if it can't be serious, and it's because of the age difference and her daughter.