Friendship Lines Blurred?

I have been really confused by this "friendship".

I have seen this guy around for about a year, but we never spoke until early February. He talked to me on that day, and we were hanging out almost everyday for about a month. We hang out 1-on-1 and sometimes with friends. We have intense discussions, and talk about our past, our families, past relationships, etc, and even cried with each other.

In March, somehow, we hugged and ended up kissing and making out. We talked about it and agreed to be just friends, but it happened again just a week after. I was very upfront with him, and told him I wasn't sure what was happening but I didn't want to be with someone who didn't have feelings for me. He said he was confused and hasn't been in a relationship in years. We still hung out a bit in March and April, and for the past two weeks we have been hanging out a lot more.

I really don't know what's happening. We spend all this time together and talk about all these emotional things. He said to me that he wants my presence and my friendship because he doesn't want to be alone...I questioned this, and he said he has other friends so if he chose to see me it's because he wants to. To me this doesn't really feel like a friendship, but that's the word he keeps using. He is a very emotional person, which is new for me. I would like another opinion.

He sounds kind of relationship avoidant. I would hold out for him asking you on a date before I didn't anymore making out since he clearly doesn't know what he wants bad enough to get organized about it.