How should I respond to borderline inappropriate joke?

beyondcrushed

I've been close friends with this guy from work for 15 years. We've hung out outside of work many occasions 1:1 and with our families (spouse, children). He has complimented me on my looks on many occasions. I have always felt that he may have had a crush on me or liked me because of this and sometimes his attention felt ackward. So I would pull away (e.g. not talk to him as much, wait a long time to reply to emails, always kept email replies platonic and short) to create a clear boundary. I also told my hubby about it. This friend sometimes talked to me about problems he had in his marriage. I always tried to help at a high level providing general advice. I would never pry or go deep into discussion. And I would never talk to him about any issues with my marriage. I was friends with his wife too. We have never crossed any lines and I have never had any interest in him and won't ever.

When I split from my hubby and his wife died two years ago, we started talking and hanging out more often. He loves to crack jokes all the time. ALL THE TIME. When I first met him I thought he was hysterical. But after 15 years, I rarely find them funny now because he reuses the same jokes. It now seems overkill esp. when I'd like to have a regular conversation. Sometimes we won't talk for a few days, then out of the blue I get a text from him cracking a joke.

Today was one of those out-of-the-blue joke days. Only I find this joke borderline inappropriate. He commutes on the train to work....."Need your advice. I'm sitting on the train. Surrounded by people. Problem is my fly is open. How do I close it without people thinking I'm a perv? Or is it too late and they already think that?"

I don't think this is funny. How would you reply?

Was it like a knock-knock joke bscly or was he serious (or semi-serious)? It doesn't sound or feel terribly inappropriate to me, but you've got years of background on this guy to make that judgment on that I don't have.

If it was me I'd say sth like "good luck w/that :p" and not be offended.

• Author
beyondcrushed
Was it like a knock-knock joke bscly or was he serious (or semi-serious)? It doesn't sound or feel terribly inappropriate to me, but you've got years of background on this guy to make that judgment on that I don't have.

If it was me I'd say sth like "good luck w/that :p" and not be offended.

Ya, it was a total joke like knock knock. I made a joke back, "own it, lol". I'm not offended but i kind of feel awkward because he's referring to his nether region, which he's never done before. We'll see how this develops. Thanks!