Was it a mistake being FWB with a male friend from school

geeky_artist

For the last month or so, he's been quite uneasy that I'm hanging out more with my friends and going out on dates. He's been calling me in the morning and night to say ''good morning'' and ''good night''.

Lately, he's been calling asking when we can go on a date and how he missed me. I'm starting to wonder if it was a mistake being a FWB with a close male friend that once way back in late 2010 (shortly after our HS graduation) drunkenly admitted to having a crush on me for a long time. Though when I confronted him with this in the following day when he was sober, he said he was just drunk talking nonsense and that he was ok with just casually hanging out and being my FWB.

We've known each other since 8th grade in middle school. But I have no romantic feelings for him.

Edited by geeky_artist

I've always consider the FWB relationship to be an oxymoron. Maybe benefit to one side, but, more often than not I'm guessing, the other wants more.

Exceptions aside, I would think that it is very difficult to find a pairing where both sides can be completely & emotionally unattached.

^ I agree. I mean, you can have f buddies, but he's not an f buddy if you knew going in he was crushing on you. Of course, he wants more. Even if you find two people just having sex, seems like one eventually becomes proprietary in some way.

Edited by preraph

In the sense that he developed feelings for you & is now hurt because those feelings are not returned, it was a mistake.

Apologize for hurting him that way since he was a friend 1st but remind him that the original agreement was sex only, no emotions. Then you have done all you can do.

When you see him be cordial but let him set the tone. He will need a great deal of time.

OP, I'm just curious. If you enjoy sex with him, that means you're attracted to him at least physically. So what is it about him that rules him out for you as a boyfriend?

I'm not judging. I had casual affairs when young, but I have to say, most of them I'd have at least been interested to see if it could be more. All except one, and he was just too big a mess, but a lot of fun for an evening. By a mess, in his case, he was drugging and was accident prone from being just not a together person and not at all responsible. What is the reason you like sex with but nothing else from your FWB?