Friends to lovers to long distance

A few months ago a work colleague and I moved our relationship from good friends to lovers. He was not my type at all but pursued me and to be honest laughed me into bed. I have since fallen very hard for him but haven't told him.

Last week he returned from leave to tell me that he has landed his dream job - we are both expats - and is moving back home. I am devastated. I knew about the interview, just remained in denial.

We have gently discussed seeing each other in the future but how do these odds stack up - I cannot move back home until March at the earliest. Even then we are over 200 miles apart.

Do I hold out hope for this relationship? Do I tell him I love him? Do I just consider it a nice interlude in an otherwise boring expat existence?

As an expat you should be having the best time ever! And this is also the sadness of being abroad. Transient once in a lifetime experiences. Don't let this get you down. Of course you will feel sad. It's better to leave it sweet.

• Author

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You are so right, an expat lifestyle is a wonderful experience and I should not lose sight of that. Your reply reminded me of a conversation I had with a resident here who told me he only ever considers expats as acquaintances because they will always leave. I should have listened to his advice.

I guess the thing that hurts the most is that we were friends for over a year before sex got involved. I guess that is why I thought there could be a future. Ten days on we have had no contact. I have deleted his email and phone number - I don't want to do any embarrassing drunk contact as I took his leaving very well on the surface. Have to say I am quite proud of myself for the way I seemed to accept it.

Behind closed doors has been a very different story.

I do feel very sad but I will keep it sweet.

Thank you again for your kind words.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Apologies for raising this again. Especially as there has been little interest. However, I have been doing good the past two weeks no contact.

Tonight at the urging of my friends back home I posted on FB for suggestions about what to do for my birthday later in the year when I next go home.

My first, almost immediate, response was from him. Jokey and ultimately impossible - it involved going to where he now lives - but I honestly did not expect him to reply at all.

He does not text or mail. Neither do I. But he seems to have jumped on this window of contact.

Am I reading too much into this?

I would really appreciate you thoughts.

Thank you.