Fallen in Love with a Friend

Mannibalector

Greetings! I'm new here, and hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

So anyway, I could use some help. I am a 19-year-old male college student who has never been in any sort of relationship before. A little over a year ago, I met this girl who was in one of my classes and we became friends. Once I got to know her a little better, I fell for her like she was a lumberjack and I was an oak tree. I mean I REALLY fell for her. I think about her almost all the time. When we first met, she was dating somebody else, so I didn't really "pursue" her; rather I just focused on getting to know her better.

Then a little while ago (close to two months I think), she broke up with her boyfriend (she wasn't particularly upset, by the way), becoming single for the first time since I met her. We are pretty good friends at this point; we study, hang out, and do stuff/go places together. But I'm still infatuated and I would love to become more than just friends. However I'm not sure if she likes me as anything more than a friend. We do get along really well, but other than that I simply don't know. I'm not very good at reading people.

The other thing is that she is like 7.5 years older than I am. Not sure if this is a huge problem or not; she is in the same place in college as I am (she waited a few years after graduating high school), and when we talk and hang out it never feels like we're that many years apart (don't really know how to explain it). Most of my friends are actually around her age (mid-20s), so maybe I just get along better with people of that age-group.

So I'm a little lost right now. I'd really like to ask her out, but I just don't know how to go about it. Like I said, I've never been in a relationship before so I don't know how it all "works", and I've never felt so strongly about someone before either. So what should I do? Is there any way a relationship between us would work? I mean, 7.5 years isn't a huge gap, especially as you get older. I'm just worried that if I try to, as they say, "make a move", and she says no, things will get awkward between us and I won't even have her as a friend anymore.

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Don't get your hopes up, you're 19 and she's 26. She sees you as a platonic friend and that's it. Think about it, her ex boyfriend isn't jealous about the fact that you 2 hang around, now what does that tell you??

You're to young to go after this kind of girls I think, but this doesnt mean that you can't give it a try. Let her know how you feel.

• Author
Mannibalector

Well I've only ever met the guy once, and from what she said he doesn't really care much about anything. I don't think he's the jealous type.

But yeah, my hopes aren't really that high. Still, like you said I guess there's no harm in trying. So I should just be direct? Like, wait for the right moment then - BAM - spill the beans?