Moving friendship onto a relationship

secretglider

I've been friends with this girl for years. We first met at university and got on really well. All the time I knew her back then, she was in a relationship. After university, we both moved to different cities but regularly kept in touch.

She has recently broke up with her boyfriend of several years. Also, I'm moving to the city where she lives soon (with my job, purely by chance, I should add!)

Since telling her that I'm moving, she's sent me messages like "can't wait for you to move here" and "I want it [this new job she's been offered in the same city] even more now you're coming to [city name]".

Question is, based on the fact we've only ever been friends, how would you go about progressing this onto something more? I'm not really the most forward person when it comes to expressing my feelings (she knows this).

being in touch long-distance is very different than being in more close, daily contact, so things will change regardless when you move closer. you'll be able to spend more time with her and might see that she has changed from the person you knew at university and even from a distance. don't go expressing your feelings right off; just have her take you to places around town or whatever as friends and you might find that more time in her company either lessens or intensifies the attraction. don't worry about it until it actually becomes something to worry about, you know?

• 3 months later...
  • Author
secretglider

So... I've moved to this new city and we've met up quite a few times. First in groups but lately it has just been us. In the last week we've seen each other three times and she was very keen to come as my "plus one" to an evening event at my work. As we parted ways last time I saw her, I almost kissed her on the cheek as we cuddled to say bye, but I bottled it.

But.... she keeps telling me about this new guy she met about a month ago. They live some distance apart but she keeps mentioning him and how he is going to take her on a weekend break somewhere and how lovely he is blah blah blah.

Arrghhh. She is coming across as rather confusing. Seems like she's using this other guy as a trade off with me.

So... I've moved to this new city and we've met up quite a few times. First in groups but lately it has just been us. In the last week we've seen each other three times and she was very keen to come as my "plus one" to an evening event at my work. As we parted ways last time I saw her, I almost kissed her on the cheek as we cuddled to say bye, but I bottled it.

But.... she keeps telling me about this new guy she met about a month ago. They live some distance apart but she keeps mentioning him and how he is going to take her on a weekend break somewhere and how lovely he is blah blah blah.

Arrghhh. She is coming across as rather confusing. Seems like she's using this other guy as a trade off with me.

Sounds like friendzone . You will have to go for that kiss and see how she reacts to it. It is really the only way out of the friendzone.

Having her continue to bring up other possible boyfriends which does not include you is going to make it harder and harder if you don't just go for it now.