What's this guy's deal? Friends with benefits

At the beginning of last semester (university) I found out that this acquaintance from last year had a class with me. We ended up sitting together and talking and decided we would go see an outdoor movie together later that day. We got dinner/went to the movie, we were really flirty. I was in a long-distance relationship at the time though so we couldn't do anything. Anyway, I eventually decided that my long-distance relationship would be an open one until my bf and I could be together for real (many reasons). So I contacted the guy and asked if he'd be interested in a friends with benefits type thing because he had already made his intentions clear. He said yes and we hooked up shortly afterward. After that, it became extremely hard to find times to get together (on his end not mine). On multiple occasions, we planned to meet up but then he flaked at the last minute. I got frustrated and told him "look, I don't expect you to do anything you don't want to. We don't have to continue this." Then he said that he indeed wanted to continue hooking up, yet again repeatedly flaked at the last minute with lame excuses some of which, quite frankly, sound like lies. I really don't care if it continues or not (I mean I'd like to because he's hot, and it's good when it happens, but I have no emotional attachment), it's just annoying that he says he wants to do this but his actions imply that he doesn't. Why is he acting like this? :confused: