do you think this would make our friendship too awkward?

so me and this guy have been hanging out for about 4 months now and we text each other everyday and see each other every second day pretty much. when we first starting hanging out, he send me this text saying he just got out of a relationship at the beginning of the summer and he was finally really enjoying being single. at that point it was too early for me to tell if i liked him so i said that i would still really enjoy being friends with him.

fast forward to 4 months later, and i really like him. i think he still likes me too but i dont think he is ever going to make a move because of that text message he sent me. i still think he doesn't feel ready for another relationship.

i really do care about him, and if i cant date him than i would just like to get over my feelings and remain friends. the problem is i want to know for sure that he still doesnt want anything in order to move forward. do you think i can just tell him at point blank that i like him, and i just want to make sure he doesnt feel the same way so i can move on and we can remain friends? or is that too frank? what is the best way to convey this?