why is my guy friend avoiding me?

i've been friends with this guy less than a year, we met at a gig back in October and when we first got back from the gig we didn't speak much. Over the last few weeks we started talking again after he suddenly and randomly got back in touch, the first night he confided in me that him and his girlfriend were having problems and like a good friend I gave him a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen but he came on to me. I brushed him off and the next night we talked again and he opened up a little more, telling me that he didn't think his girlfriend was the one for him and that they'd probably be breaking up and how he was tired of always going for girls who mess with his head etc again I listened like a good friend and offered him some advice on how to approach his girlfriend about their problems and spicing things up, he turned round and used one of the lines on me. I decided it best to distance myself until a few days later when I was watching a horror movie and he offered his arms 'to protect me' saying they were the safest place in the world. I accepted his offer of a cuddle and he made me laugh for a bit as he usually does by comparing himself to my favourite comedian, Russell Brand. We stayed up texting til the early hours of the morning and this time when the subject came up about anything happening between us physically I was a little more susceptible to the idea without agreeing to anything; I haven't heard anything from him since, it's been almost a week and I really miss him but i'm scared to approach the subject with him because i'm afraid of what his answer will be. Do I leave him be and let him come to me or do I make the first move?