does my close guy friend like me more than a friend?

okay, i'm a woman in my late 20's, and i'm really bad at this....admittedly...

i've had this male friend....for just under a year....he is mutual friends with the last guy I quasi-dated (that relationship didnt work out) that's how we met, and our interactions were often the three of us hanging out together, i had a feeling he liked me from a ways back, but he's very hard to read...

lately, since i've been single....these things have changed:

- i've been busy and he seems to be putting in more effort to making plans with me, always via text, but more enthusiastically

- he seems to be more helpful...like wants to do things for me

- he has told me via text a couple of times that he misses me

- the last couple of times we have hung out, he has shared a seat with me (with another girl or multiple other people present) and we kind of cuddled like a couple, spontaneously, and our personal space has definitely become closer than it was

- the last couple of times we hung out, our hello/goodbye hugs were really long (like 30-60 seconds)....can't tell who's making them longer, me or him....seems mutual...

- even though he knows that its over, he asked me whats going on with me and my ex...and it was a little awkward

- he asked me for advice on how to gently let down a girl / friend that likes him who he doesn't feel the same way for (not me), he's never asked me any advice to do with girls before ever and I thought that was super weird...

- he pats/rubs my hair on the top of my head when i say something funny, i kind of noticed he did this before too, but...he's doing it a lot now...

I feel a sexual tension between us, and it was my / our friends that have pointed out that they saw something between us, that got me thinking more about it...(cause im kind of clueless when it comes to this...)

Now that im aware there might be some signals coming from him I've tried to "show" him that i like him back by, reciprocating the long hugs, touching him often, smiling a lot, flirting, suggestive things..but not necessarily all sexual...just intimate... i just don't know if he might need something more obvious? And also, like everyone, im scared of rejection and probably not being bold enough in my actions....just playing it safe...

im not sure what else to do as this doesn't come all that naturally to me, even though I know the best thing to do is just keep hanging out and wait and see what happens, I don't want to inadvertantly screw it up by acting the wrong way (like the tomboy I am) or making him think he's in the friend zone, or not advancing when i should ,as I think i might have to be the one who eventually makes the first move...even though that could be a long ways down the line...

do you think he wants more than friendship? and if so, how do I help to keep things moving in this direction without scaring him off or going too fast...