my ex ignores me after we stayed friends for 2 years?

My ex and I broke up on good terms. We started out as best friends and became more. After ending things, he insisted we stay good friends because "friends help each other through" their feelings/hurt. It wasn't just a "lets stay friends" (but not really meaning it) type of thing, he genuinely intended to be good friends. When I told him at the time that I don't talk to my (previous) ex anymore, he told me how wrong he felt that was - that people shouldn't just cut others out of their lives. I was his first love, his first kiss...etc

We had some mutual friends who we kept in touch with - a rotating email thread that is many years old. I've seen him a few times since after the breakup. We always get together with friends over the holidays when we're back home (usually it's me initiating, but we include the whole group). However, he always acted really awkward whenever we met up in person. Recently he stopped responding to ALL emails.

I'm totally dumbfounded because he's the one who criticized ME for not communicating well with my previous ex, and I thought we really had a friendship going on. I'm hurt because I really did see him as just a really good friend, and I really cared about our friendship.

Why would you just cut your ex (a friend) out of your life suddenly after remaining friends for years? I can't understand it. I wish I could understand. I've done everything I could to nurture and protect our friendship. I've moved on from the relationship, and this is another transition for me.

I have thought about confronting him about the issue, but I think that would only push him away and make him feel more awkward. How can I show him that I really mean the best for both of us in positivity and kindness and friendship? How can I make things un-awkward?

If it were you, why would YOU stop talking to your ex? What am I supposed to do now?

My ex said the same thing to me that he hated losing contact with someone and cutting someone out of his life.

Unfortunately ex girlfriend/boyfriends are an exception. It's true - when you start dating a friend then there is a chance that the friendship will be forever screwed up because you'll always have the title of the EX and with that comes a few extra things. Many people do not choose to keep contact with their ex (for many reasons) -even if they were friends before or after. The term EX haunts people.

2themoon&back
How can I show him that I really mean the best for both of us in positivity and kindness and friendship?

Respect his decision