Is this a bad idea - inviting FWB to hang out?

Still doing the FWB thing with this guy. Just saw him on Wednesday. I was supposed to have a date tonight but that fell through. All of my other friends are busy and I am already bored and it's only 5pm.

I legtiimately enjoy hanging out with this FWB guy -- he is cool and good adult company. I dont think we are dating and don't think we will date but I'd really just like to drink some wine and play scrabble (and we could have sex too).

Would it be weird to text to see if he wanted to hang out? And clarify I was not asking him out?

Used to date this guy. He broke it off with me. We have this arrangement now (casual sex) but when it first started he said we should only contact "once every few weeks" so things did t get complicated. I guess I don't want him to think that i think this is more than it is, because I don't. But in general we get along well - when we met up on wed we had drinks and talked about dating/exs for several hours - it was fun. I could see him becoming a friend basically and just want to hang out. Don't want him to get the wrong idea and think I'm making things complicated - just kind of want to get drunk, play a board game and would like some company. Because the sex it great and I enjoy hanging out with him occasionally I don’t want to freak him out by breaking the “mold”.

Thoughts?

Mme. Chaucer

Yes. It is a bad idea. Just like the last time you asked. Stick with the agreed upon ground rules. If you want to change them, talk that over next time you are together (in a few more weeks).

Really, it sounds like you might be setting yourself up for a big disappointment that could easily have been avoided.

• Author

I hadn't asked this before. Before I was asking about asking him over to have sex. Right now I'm legitimately just wanting to hang out as friends. I don't know what the disapppointment would be - I dont have any hope that we will be together. We emailed a little after Wednesday concerning his ex-girlfriend. I see this guy as more of a friend and would like to hang out.

Mme. Chaucer

Hang out and play Scrabble with your real friends. Inviting a guy you have sex with to come over and play Scrabble is ... a date.

Having sex with someone once every few weeks has nothing in common with any friendship I've had.

I know some people who actually have functioning "FWB" situations. These are people who are very actively doing stuff together in the same social circles. They have "game nights," they play kick ball, they go to see bands or to parties. Some of them have casual sex together when they feel like it. But, they are actually friends first.

The fact that you were dating, you dug him, and HE broke it off puts you at an emotionally vulnerable place, though I predict that you will not acknowledge this.

Anyway, you will do what you choose and I hope it is all positive for you.