Nosy to ask why they broke up?

I close guy friend of mine and I had a misunderstanding a few months ago..I thought that we were becoming more than friends, but he clarified I was wrong. He also told me about a gf at that time, who was long distance and older (40's). I met her once and the two of them seemed to be putting a lot of effort into travelling for time together...more her than him, since he already travels for his job. He seemed happy with the situation, but I also don't know if he'd talk to me about his probs with her. After his divorce a few years ago, he was instantly telling me the story and worried about being alone forever, etc...he is definitely a 1 woman man and I think pretty sensitive. However, he claims to be past the point of wanting to get married or have a family. He claimed of this new relationship to be "not serious".

An email from yesterday said "I broke up with ____", and he sounded kind of down about it but he didn't go into detail. I just said I'm here if he needs me, and he said that we will hang out soon. I'm just dying to know what happens here...I just wonder if it was her that wanted to be more serious, or if it was him...could have been anything, but he's too amazing of a guy to give up if you ask me; that's why I'm just dying to know what happened. I know I shouldn't ask unless he brings it up 1st (right?); and if he broke up with her, I want to know why...I'm just trying to figure out how a guy that can have any woman he wants keeps failing in relationships because he's the most respectable, handsome, entertaining and caring man I've ever known. He's been a most wonderful friend to me. But somehow I feel awkward asking about detail, considering our history...I guess I'll just have to see if he brings it up next time...not that I was thinking of emailing him "by the way, why did you break up?", lol, nothing like that.