Can you date your roommate without going crazy???

Situation: Girl, 27, answers an ad for a room for rent with boy, 26. Both are very different: He's on the geeky side who likes to party and hang out with his buddies, she's a hip intellectual who likes music, films, and fine wine. Eight months of co-habitation find these two having a great time together, they get along with eachother's friends, and have recently begun discussing the fact that they have potentially developped feelings for eachother. Confused by the potential of ruining a good roommate relationship, and whether or not their differences are too great, neither know how to proceed. How do you date someone who lives in the room next door? Is it possible to cross the roommate line successfully, and if so, are there rules to this game?

It is very possible. You both seem like you're intelligent enough to sit together and lay some ground rules. If it works out, fine. If not, it's back to being roommates.

If you do it right and are mature about it, there should be no major problem dating. Now if it gets extremely serious and goes south, one of you may have to move out. But if the two of you feel like it's worth the risk, go for it.

This is a case where you'll never know what may happen unless you go there.

I think you can do it, but I don't think you can do it while you are still roommates. Dating while being roommates basically means that you skip the entire dating/courting phase and jump right into living together. You will likely spend every night in each other's beds. You will do laundry together, eat together, etc. She will know every aspect of your schedule and vice versa. Very difficult to start the dating relationship, at least in my opinion. And if it ends, then what? What if you want to end it and she doesn't? Or vice versa? How will one of you deal with the heartbreak while the other is moving on with their life? How will you move on having to see them every single day? etc...

I'd say if you want to date, one of you needs to move out. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Situation: Girl, 27, answers an ad for a room for rent with boy, 26. Both are very different: He's on the geeky side who likes to party and hang out with his buddies, she's a hip intellectual who likes music, films, and fine wine. Eight months of co-habitation find these two having a great time together, they get along with eachother's friends, and have recently begun discussing the fact that they have potentially developped feelings for eachother. Confused by the potential of ruining a good roommate relationship, and whether or not their differences are too great, neither know how to proceed. How do you date someone who lives in the room next door? Is it possible to cross the roommate line successfully, and if so, are there rules to this game?

As long as you two are not related, I say go for it.