OK, give me a BREAK, this is one hell of a learning experience for me, I hope to learn and know a little more next time around, I was not over her, a broken heart is tough and ones first love is not so easy to eliminate, so here is my little story for you to read, because I'm curious about you good peoples thoughts--->

A girl (now 29) dumped me (now 33) about 18 months ago, after going out for about 3 years or so, and gave her only reason as confusion and not knowing if I were the guy for her, despite what appeared a healthy relationship. On our final meeting she claimed I was the nicest guy she had ever met (big deal, hey!) and said I would make someone else very happy one day (this, I will!). I was the only guy she had intimate relations with. I was told many times by her friends that I was the only guy she had ever felt totally comfortable with. At the time I let her go (maybe too easily) assuming she was not happy, being something which I could obviously not do much about. We have rarely seen each other since. I'm trying to get on with my life, and to date have not yet met another whom I have similar feelings, though this could have possibly occured in US when I was there last year (I'm an Australian guy) if I were not required to return for work. I think it would also be fair to say that if I do meet another, my feelings for her will disappear... if not alot sooner after the following.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, my family advised me yesterday that she is now engaged to be married (all within several months of dumping me), to a guy who maybe in his late 30's early 40's, grey hair, shorter then her, with a child around 7yrs, and he maybe a partner in the law firm she works as a solicitor!!!!!!

I could not help but simply be amazed and stunned (I'm 33, 5ft11, very athletic, very educated, very intelligent, decent looking, never married, no kids, with more money *self earned* then him (but I never let her know my full monetary situation despite knowing her parents are very wealthy, and she did always let on about wanting to lead a more easy lifestyle upon marriage which I kind of objected to at times in a nice way).

This is just so bizare. I had people dribble all kinds of crap in my ear in past 24hours (hey, I don't mind, its good to talk about things). I cannot help but feel he was in the background at her work towards the end of our relationship, and she didn't have the GUTS to say why she ended us... but getting married so soon (after we had talked about marriage for over 12months)???

Comments and thoughts please ???

Why don't you just ask her?

If you still want her and don't want to lose her tell her.

Its never too late-tell her that too :o)

If you want to know why, ask her that too.

Just make sure you asked all the questions to all the answers you want to know. Make all the effort you are prepared to make to get what you want.

Whatever her reaction, whatever her choice you will always feel that you did all you could have in the situation, and that any loss is was not on account of your inaction. No what ifs to haunt you.

By talking to her you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, which is alot better than what you have right now.

Hidden beneath the surface of almost every human being, deep in the subconscious mind, exists what Sigmund Freud called the ego ideal. That is a person, or rather type of person, that will fulfill an individual's dreams or make that person complete.

It is theorized that the ego ideal is fashioned subconsciously by the person's early life experiences, treatment by the father, encounters will various males when young, etc.

No matter who you are, what you do, how you act, how old you are, how weird you are, what color you are, how rich you are, how strong you are, according to psychologists who subscribe to this theory you cannot compete with a person's ego ideal no matter how hard you try.

I think there is some validity to the theory. I've seen it happen over and over again. There is simply no other explanation for why two particular people get together in seemingly very strange matches.

This man which your ex is engaged to most likely set off her ego ideal alarm, so to speak. He obviously met all or most of the requirements of her ego ideal.

Maybe she doesn't want to have children herself and wanted a man with kids already. Maybe as a child her father towered over her in anger and she desired a husband shorter than her to ease this fear. Maybe she wanted an older man who could be the father she could refashion and control after spending years helplessly with her own father. Who will ever know?

It's all strange. Some men go their entire lives attracted only to females who physically resemble some women who broke their heart when they were young, even though otherwise they may be a very poor match for them.

Don't even try to figure all this out. Leave that to the psychologists and move on. Your relationship is over, she is engaged, and you have to go on with your life.

It doesn't matter whether he was in the background or not to cause your breakup. For your information, the majority of females who initiate a break up or a divorce have another male at least in mind if not all lined up. Many females will not take their foot off the last rock until the other is firmly planted on the next. That's just a survival thing, emotional or otherwise, and you can't blame them.

So don't be concerned about all this. It's bigger than both of us. But lucky for you she won't be around to further break your heart anymore and you'll be able to find many other ladies who ring your chimes, consciously or subconsciously...and, hopefully, something very deep inside of them will tell them you are the right guy for them.

I've read similar ideals.

Funny thing is though, her mother always told her to marry an older guy, because as you grow older together, you will look physically better then your older male partner (ie. you don't want to age quicker then your male partner). This is not subconscious or psychological. She is doing what she learnt from an early age from her mother.... and yep.... shes hitting the jackpot with a 40yr old guy.

When I first asked her out, I lied (my only lie to her) and said I was 27 (I think) and all of a sudden I was turning 30 (I think) in several months, which obviously confused her. I confessed my lie, and she said If I told her I was one year younger (when I asked her out), she would have not gone out with me. This is not subconscious or psychological.

No, it's not subconscious but it is very psychological. You still did not meet her ego ideal, no matter how she fashioned it. So you are best to chalk this one up to a loss and move on.

Incidentally, false advertising is highly dangerous in the mating game. When you move out of the starting gate with a lie, it will come back to haunt you everytime. In this case, it appears that if you had told the truth about your age from the beginning you may have had a slightly better chance with her. The majority of people do not appreciate being decieved under any circumstance and no matter what the reason.

Move on my friend and learn from this. She was destined to "hit the jackpot" as you say...and you will do so for yourself if you can go forward with your life as soon as possible.

Do you think the ego ideal is to blame for the high divorce rates being experienced in the western world?

PS

I'm moving on, though it is so difficult to let go of such a great love when there is nothing in site after all this time. I look forward to the experience of love again, and hopefully on a more permanant basis.

But it isn't easy to find (took me 28 years to find my first) and I certainly don't want to enter into a more permanant relationship with no true love... some call it being fussy... I call it falling in love... it brings much happiness and enjoyment to life, I cannot see myself lasting another 30 years without it.

Obviously I don't know what was going on in her mind when she broke up with you, nor what she's about now. But it sounds to me like she wasn't fully engaged with you and your relationship, for whatever reason. Maybe her #1 priority is security, a guarantee that she'll never have to make her own way in the world. Maybe the older guy provides that.

But whatever the story is, clearly you had a woman on your hands who was unable to handle the kind of relationship you had with her. I know your feelings are strong for her, but would you have wanted to construct your relationship so that her "needs" were being met -- would you want to be a pseudo-father figure, indulging her whims, paying her bills, allowing her to putter at this and that, and to lead a frivilous, unproductive life? Were you looking for a trophy wife? Maybe that's the role she was seeking to fill.

As much as it hurts, it sounds to me like you're well rid of her. It sounds like she's looking for a different kind of life than what you have.

You'll meet someone much better suited to you, and then this woman will become a pale shadow of a memory.

Good luck.

YOU ASK: "Do you think the ego ideal is to blame for the high divorce rates being experienced in the western world?"

No, long life spans and people's lack of committment are mostly to blame. People live a lot longer than they used to. Over very long periods of time, they grow apart. Some grow apart quickly.

The ego ideal concept brings people together initially in passionate ways that are often incomprehensible. As far as biology is concerned, the reproductive forces are set into motion at that time. After that, people are on their own.

High divorce rates are a function of a society that has brainwashed its citizens into feeling they need a new car every few years, a new home every seven years, a new matress every ten years, etc. We have become a world of neurotics who buy and sell when the stock averages make the slightest of movements. This translates into a people who feel everything in their lives must be new and improved or changed in some way on a continuous basis.

It's really sad that people, unknowingly, are controlled more by the media and by society than they are by their own will. And unfortunatly, parents do not take nearly as active a role in raising children as they once did, when there wasn't TV, VCRs, etc. Today, young people's ethics and morals come from what they see on Jerry Springer, Saturday cartoons and war broadcast live on CNN.

When young people are brought up on a steady diet of television programs and movies featuring broken and dysfunctional families, "Friends" living and screwing together in one apartment, and TV talk shows featuring teenage girls with babies who bring six guys on the set so the host can give a DNA report on exactly which one is the father (if any), they grow up thinking this is the way life is to be lived.

Go figure!

You have hit many nails on the head, especially with your last sentence in the first paragraph.

He provides security, I provide what could appear to be risky security historically already proven to here via my nature of business in the equities market and property development. Funny thing is her massive stockmarket gains slowly turned into terrible loses after she dumped me. What a coincidence!!!

PS

I hope to be off to San Francisco in a couple to spend several weeks with a fantastic attorney. Though its a shame that I cannot take my work full time to where I find such great girls. Maybe I do need to reconsider my work at some point in time to find what I'm really looking for in life.

Obviously I don't know what was going on in her mind when she broke up with you, nor what she's about now. But it sounds to me like she wasn't fully engaged with you and your relationship, for whatever reason. Maybe her #1 priority is security, a guarantee that she'll never have to make her own way in the world. Maybe the older guy provides that. But whatever the story is, clearly you had a woman on your hands who was unable to handle the kind of relationship you had with her. I know your feelings are strong for her, but would you have wanted to construct your relationship so that her "needs" were being met -- would you want to be a pseudo-father figure, indulging her whims, paying her bills, allowing her to putter at this and that, and to lead a frivilous, unproductive life? Were you looking for a trophy wife? Maybe that's the role she was seeking to fill. As much as it hurts, it sounds to me like you're well rid of her. It sounds like she's looking for a different kind of life than what you have.

You'll meet someone much better suited to you, and then this woman will become a pale shadow of a memory. Good luck.

For me a relationship of 2.5 years ended almost the same way. The girl saying that I was perfect etc, but she was with a guy less than a month after the breakup! And of course the guy was a complete loser.

I've said this once, and I'm gonna say it again. A lot of girls are attracted to the bad guys for some odd reason. Even girls will tell you this, as they have told me this too.

Best this is to forget about her, she will NEVER come back.

Oh yeah, and I agree, what a bitch.

We learn through these encounters and we better ourselves to prepare for the next one. However, I ended myself back into another one of these again!!! Do NOT do that!

OK, give me a BREAK, this is one hell of a learning experience for me, I hope to learn and know a little more next time around, I was not over her, a broken heart is tough and ones first love is not so easy to eliminate, so here is my little story for you to read, because I'm curious about you good peoples thoughts--->

A girl (now 29) dumped me (now 33) about 18 months ago, after going out for about 3 years or so, and gave her only reason as confusion and not knowing if I were the guy for her, despite what appeared a healthy relationship. On our final meeting she claimed I was the nicest guy she had ever met (big deal, hey!) and said I would make someone else very happy one day (this, I will!). I was the only guy she had intimate relations with. I was told many times by her friends that I was the only guy she had ever felt totally comfortable with. At the time I let her go (maybe too easily) assuming she was not happy, being something which I could obviously not do much about. We have rarely seen each other since. I'm trying to get on with my life, and to date have not yet met another whom I have similar feelings, though this could have possibly occured in US when I was there last year (I'm an Australian guy) if I were not required to return for work. I think it would also be fair to say that if I do meet another, my feelings for her will disappear... if not alot sooner after the following. Unfortunately, or fortunately, my family advised me yesterday that she is now engaged to be married (all within several months of dumping me), to a guy who maybe in his late 30's early 40's, grey hair, shorter then her, with a child around 7yrs, and he maybe a partner in the law firm she works as a solicitor!!!!!! I could not help but simply be amazed and stunned (I'm 33, 5ft11, very athletic, very educated, very intelligent, decent looking, never married, no kids, with more money *self earned* then him (but I never let her know my full monetary situation despite knowing her parents are very wealthy, and she did always let on about wanting to lead a more easy lifestyle upon marriage which I kind of objected to at times in a nice way). This is just so bizare. I had people dribble all kinds of crap in my ear in past 24hours (hey, I don't mind, its good to talk about things). I cannot help but feel he was in the background at her work towards the end of our relationship, and she didn't have the GUTS to say why she ended us... but getting married so soon (after we had talked about marriage for over 12months)??? Comments and thoughts please ???

Sounds like she wanted to have a man take care of her (she did not know that you would do that). You said that she told you that she wanted an easier lifestyle when she married (that means quit work or work less) and that you didn't go for the idea. Get a clue dear. Maybe this older man told her that she didn't have to work if she didn't want to. Lifestyle is important to a woman. Even if she had less with him as far as material things, he assured her that she could be a "princess" at home. Men are clueless sometimes. I don't think she was a bitch, she was looking out for her future and you played hardball with her. She looked elsewhere! I think that is what it was! Women want someone to cherish them - sounds like you wanted a workhorse.

A girl (now 29) dumped me (now 33) about 18 months ago, after going out for about 3 years or so, and gave her only reason as confusion and not knowing if I were the guy for her, despite what appeared a healthy relationship. On our final meeting she claimed I was the nicest guy she had ever met (big deal, hey!) and said I would make someone else very happy one day (this, I will!). I was the only guy she had intimate relations with. I was told many times by her friends that I was the only guy she had ever felt totally comfortable with. At the time I let her go (maybe too easily) assuming she was not happy, being something which I could obviously not do much about. We have rarely seen each other since. I'm trying to get on with my life, and to date have not yet met another whom I have similar feelings, though this could have possibly occured in US when I was there last year (I'm an Australian guy) if I were not required to return for work. I think it would also be fair to say that if I do meet another, my feelings for her will disappear... if not alot sooner after the following. Unfortunately, or fortunately, my family advised me yesterday that she is now engaged to be married (all within several months of dumping me), to a guy who maybe in his late 30's early 40's, grey hair, shorter then her, with a child around 7yrs, and he maybe a partner in the law firm she works as a solicitor!!!!!! I could not help but simply be amazed and stunned (I'm 33, 5ft11, very athletic, very educated, very intelligent, decent looking, never married, no kids, with more money *self earned* then him (but I never let her know my full monetary situation despite knowing her parents are very wealthy, and she did always let on about wanting to lead a more easy lifestyle upon marriage which I kind of objected to at times in a nice way). This is just so bizare. I had people dribble all kinds of crap in my ear in past 24hours (hey, I don't mind, its good to talk about things). I cannot help but feel he was in the background at her work towards the end of our relationship, and she didn't have the GUTS to say why she ended us... but getting married so soon (after we had talked about marriage for over 12months)??? Comments and thoughts please ???

Don't make comments that attack 50% of our users like "Men are clueless sometimes."

All of us base our answers on our experiences that we have had in life. You have obviously been wronged by men. I could go off and make generalizations about women, but I know all of them aren't like the ones I've dated.

Sounds like she wanted to have a man take care of her (she did not know that you would do that). You said that she told you that she wanted an easier lifestyle when she married (that means quit work or work less) and that you didn't go for the idea. Get a clue dear. Maybe this older man told her that she didn't have to work if she didn't want to. Lifestyle is important to a woman. Even if she had less with him as far as material things, he assured her that she could be a "princess" at home. Men are clueless sometimes. I don't think she was a bitch, she was looking out for her future and you played hardball with her. She looked elsewhere! I think that is what it was! Women want someone to cherish them - sounds like you wanted a workhorse.

Sorry, I was politically incorrect! You are right. It was half a joke, but really, I do see CLUELESS stamped in indelible ink on most men's foreheads. JUST JOKING

Don't make comments that attack 50% of our users like "Men are clueless sometimes."

All of us base our answers on our experiences that we have had in life. You have obviously been wronged by men. I could go off and make generalizations about women, but I know all of them aren't like the ones I've dated.

ps

I also think men get angry when faced with the fact women are on to them. This gal figured him out. He wanted a workhorse----to work outside the home, clean house, bring up children, cook, etc. etc. Smart women know this. Women who are not desperate don't have to do it all. Men want it all----why shouldn't women pick and chose who will provide her with the best lifestyle. Women are taught to sacrifice all---I say, find the man you love----but make sure your life won't be turned into slave labor for it. Pretty, smart, non-desperate women know they don't have to work that hard all their lives and still be with the man they love. WHY DON'T MEN GET IT? I have heard this time after time with young men.

Sorry, I was politically incorrect! You are right. It was half a joke, but really, I do see CLUELESS stamped in indelible ink on most men's foreheads. JUST JOKING

Gee, overly sensitive much? It wasn't like she was speaking directly about you. She posted how she felt, based on her experience so get off her back and toughen up a bit, big guy. Hey, you just proved her point? Kewl!

I don't want it all... I guess I'm out of your generalizations. I just want someone who is not a whore and likes to sleep around... but that's all I see around here. Oh well.

ps I also think men get angry when faced with the fact women are on to them. This gal figured him out. He wanted a workhorse----to work outside the home, clean house, bring up children, cook, etc. etc. Smart women know this. Women who are not desperate don't have to do it all. Men want it all----why shouldn't women pick and chose who will provide her with the best lifestyle. Women are taught to sacrifice all---I say, find the man you love----but make sure your life won't be turned into slave labor for it. Pretty, smart, non-desperate women know they don't have to work that hard all their lives and still be with the man they love. WHY DON'T MEN GET IT? I have heard this time after time with young men.

I did cherish her more then you could ever imagine!

It could be fair to say that all I needed was her and her love, whereas she had the habit of showing affection through material purchases/gifts, and I may have not completely appreciated/understood that at the time. I have now learnt that some people gain pleasure through such habits and I need to much more show my appreciation of such even if I consider it unnecessary.

I do not expect a work horse, but neither am I looking for a lazy lady of leisure (mmm unless she spent her days training in the gym to keep looking wonderful, just as I do again to ckeep finely tuned) who turns into a lard arse.

I did not play hardball with her (unless she thought so), and if I did, she was to gutless to say so, and now she will be missing the many opportunities which I would have provided (far in excess of her limp dick grand pa), such as my 4 months trip to US last year seeing some fascinating places which would have amazed her. She missed out on Madison and Fifth Avenues, I didn't, her loss. I'm now buying a new Ferrari (something which I would have never considered 2 years ago), her loss.

I did cherish her more then you could ever imagine!

It could be fair to say that all I needed was her and her love, whereas she had the habit of showing affection through material purchases/gifts, and I may have not completely appreciated/understood that at the time. I have now learnt that some people gain pleasure through such habits and I need to much more show my appreciation of such even if I consider it unnecessary.

I did and do not expect a work horse, but neither am I looking for a lazy lady of leisure with no intelligence (mmm unless she spent her days training in the gym to keep looking wonderful, just as I again do to keep finely tuned) who turns into a lazy lard arse over time. Nor do I expect her to remain at home cooking, cleaning, washing, etc, as I had always suggested a 50/50 type role, whereas I think she wanted the cake and to be able to eat it as well.

I did not play hardball with her (unless she thought so), and if I did, she was to gutless to say so. Now she will be missing the many opportunities which I would have provided (far in excess of her new limp dick grand pa), such as my 4 months trip to US last year seeing some places which would have amazed her. She missed out on Madison and Fifth Avenues, I didn't, her loss. I'm now buying a new Ferrari (something which I would have never considered 2 years ago), her loss. I'm off the US again soon, her loss, and might be considering a more permanat move, my gain, LOL. Damn your country provides for such amazing ooportunities to someone with some guts, drive, determination and BRAINS.

You might have cherished her, but the bottom line is that she didn't feel that way. If you can afford all these worldly possesions and did not share with her (sounds like she suspected you could and didn't) why should she share her body, love and affection with you? I can imagine that by the way you speak, she was probably beautiful--and beautiful women can have a lot more than 50/50--materially speaking that is. I can understand you not wanting a leech, who does, male or female. I still don't think she was a bitch, she was being careful of her future. You were too! You are still young, and I don't blame you for being careful, but she doesn't know what you could offer her. The unattractive or less attractive man she is with now is probably offering her everything he can, even if it is less than you can---but at least she knows what it is. Don't be hard on yourself, but learn from this experience. No matter how liberated women get---a man must provide more than 50/50. A good woman may not be able to give you 50 percent of the rent, but she can give you all her love, her body, children and LOVE. You are the MAN, she is the WOMAN and no social movement, however progressive it may be, in whatever generation it may be coming from, can change that. Don't be angry with her, she needed to do this to assure her security.

I wish you luck and love from a good woman in the future.

ps. Don't give the stripper at the bar diamonds and pearls for gifts, but the woman you cherish (if it is within your means) give her your all and you will also receive her all (within her means).

Just my opinion. love, Angel

I did cherish her more then you could ever imagine! It could be fair to say that all I needed was her and her love, whereas she had the habit of showing affection through material purchases/gifts, and I may have not completely appreciated/understood that at the time. I have now learnt that some people gain pleasure through such habits and I need to much more show my appreciation of such even if I consider it unnecessary. I did and do not expect a work horse, but neither am I looking for a lazy lady of leisure with no intelligence (mmm unless she spent her days training in the gym to keep looking wonderful, just as I again do to keep finely tuned) who turns into a lazy lard arse over time. Nor do I expect her to remain at home cooking, cleaning, washing, etc, as I had always suggested a 50/50 type role, whereas I think she wanted the cake and to be able to eat it as well. I did not play hardball with her (unless she thought so), and if I did, she was to gutless to say so. Now she will be missing the many opportunities which I would have provided (far in excess of her new limp dick grand pa), such as my 4 months trip to US last year seeing some places which would have amazed her. She missed out on Madison and Fifth Avenues, I didn't, her loss. I'm now buying a new Ferrari (something which I would have never considered 2 years ago), her loss. I'm off the US again soon, her loss, and might be considering a more permanat move, my gain, LOL. Damn your country provides for such amazing ooportunities to someone with some guts, drive, determination and BRAINS.

I've learnt alot.

I've learnt mostly from my mistakes, without such mistakes, I would not have learn much.

I left it all too late (partly her fault with her very tradition Greek background) and should have wisked her off the Venice at a wimp. Next time around I will.

I have no problem providing more then 50/50, as long as the other does not expect 1/99. Next time I'll be more clear.

I'm not really angry with her, and I don't mean to call her a bitch, shes a great girl and I hope for her sake she hasn't made a foolish decision which may haunt her in the future, I'm just feeling a little lonely and not meeting the girls I'd like to meet or meeting girls whom don't interest me so much, and my self employment does not help meeting such girls.

PS

I gave her some nice jewellery and I still need to on sell the flawless 2ct ring which was never presented to her, actually my mother might keep it because hers was stolen!

You might have cherished her, but the bottom line is that she didn't feel that way. If you can afford all these worldly possesions and did not share with her (sounds like she suspected you could and didn't) why should she share her body, love and affection with you? I can imagine that by the way you speak, she was probably beautiful--and beautiful women can have a lot more than 50/50--materially speaking that is. I can understand you not wanting a leech, who does, male or female. I still don't think she was a bitch, she was being careful of her future. You were too! You are still young, and I don't blame you for being careful, but she doesn't know what you could offer her. The unattractive or less attractive man she is with now is probably offering her everything he can, even if it is less than you can---but at least she knows what it is. Don't be hard on yourself, but learn from this experience. No matter how liberated women get---a man must provide more than 50/50. A good woman may not be able to give you 50 percent of the rent, but she can give you all her love, her body, children and LOVE. You are the MAN, she is the WOMAN and no social movement, however progressive it may be, in whatever generation it may be coming from, can change that. Don't be angry with her, she needed to do this to assure her security.

I wish you luck and love from a good woman in the future. ps. Don't give the stripper at the bar diamonds and pearls for gifts, but the woman you cherish (if it is within your means) give her your all and you will also receive her all (within her means). Just my opinion. love, Angel

I'm sure you haved learned a lot. You will have better luck next time. There are many beautiful and lovely girls out there that are looking for someone just like you. Best wishes for a happy future.

I've learnt alot. I've learnt mostly from my mistakes, without such mistakes, I would not have learn much. I left it all too late (partly her fault with her very tradition Greek background) and should have wisked her off the Venice at a wimp. Next time around I will. I have no problem providing more then 50/50, as long as the other does not expect 1/99. Next time I'll be more clear. I'm not really angry with her, and I don't mean to call her a bitch, shes a great girl and I hope for her sake she hasn't made a foolish decision which may haunt her in the future, I'm just feeling a little lonely and not meeting the girls I'd like to meet or meeting girls whom don't interest me so much, and my self employment does not help meeting such girls. PS I gave her some nice jewellery and I still need to on sell the flawless 2ct ring which was never presented to her, actually my mother might keep it because hers was stolen!